Moving to the forest

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Like, I've always wanted to leave society and live an all natural life in a forest with a small shelter and just, wander about a few months and enjoy life, and I was wondering if anyone else thought of doing this or done it and perhaps could point out a few tips and things that would be needed.

• i have done this sevourol times in many woods.

find yourself a patch of woodlands were not many go but allso close to main road or town incase of emorgancys.
    if you have never built a shelter/bender/tent before find a patch of land before hand and practise.
    allso look at wot food natuare cant supply you and water supply.
    allso be preperd for any weather and pack things that well be issenstiol not on a might needed it.
    heres a list of things i couldent live with out.
    light candles tilly lamp thorchs
    meths and tranger for the days when a fire is imposable.
    first add kit
    axe bow saw
    shovel hand or garden
    sterdy boots
    and the must poweder milk
    and when or if asked to move on be polite play dumb and butter up this allways worked.
    and have a place/house to store valubale stuff in as it ant nice to come home to find all your stuffs been nicked.
    happy travels and please pm away if you need more advice

• Quote from Zambaku

Like, I've always wanted to leave society and live an all natural life in a forest with a small shelter and just, wander about a few months and enjoy life, and I was wondering if anyone else thought of doing this or done it and perhaps could point out a few tips and things that would be needed.

I love this idea - but I would just starve to death!

Watch a few Ray Mears programmes - the man is a god.

• Quote from Zambaku

Aye, I'm a bit worried about the food and water bit myself.

OOOOO your ancient ancestors would turn in their graves :D

But seriously how sad is that... that our culture has lost the fundamental basics of survival... even Ray Mears was expressing how much we have lost in time... and one of the only tribal people he could relearn from what we have lost to our knowledges, was the aboriginal peoples!!

I think that is sad... and I am endeavoring to learn as much as I can about food for free from the wild :0)

• i'm going to do it this june if i dont find a way into glastonbury.

i'm not going to just eat what i can find though coz i think it will be to much of a shock to the system to have such a drastic change in diet.

i'm just going to use the woods close to the farm i'm on and go and pick veggies from the garden, so in a sense i'm living off the land, just more cultivated!

i would recomend being near enough to civilisation that you can carry a water butt, even if it's only for drinking and cooking, and you use stream water for washing etc, (depending on how clean the water is!)

i'm taking a hammock to sleep in because i really want to be up in the trees and am to lazy to build a tree house! i'm just going to string up a hammock, chuck a tarp over a few branches and put a scramble net underneath. failing that i might just be really lazy and sleep up the tree house we already have!

i'm not going to go about it religiously though. if it pisses with rain and it's freezing cold i'll go and find a truck with a burner to curl up in. i'm not going so far away from civilisation that i have to make myself miserable if the weather goes wrong! wussy i may be, but i dont see the point in making myself suffer when it's not neccessary!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from Zambaku

Aye, I'm a bit worried about the food and water bit myself.

you've every right to be worried.

my neighbour and his family were drinking well water all winter ~in spring the pipe serving their dwelling became blocked with a cottonish material, they checked their water source, the well had a decomposed sheep floating in it.

• Quote from denhaag

you've every right to be worried.

my neighbour and his family were drinking well water all winter ~in spring the pipe serving their dwelling became blocked with a cottonish material, they checked their water source, the well had a decomposed sheep floating in it.

yummy

• Quote from GreenFairy

yummy

the flow on our cold tap was running slower and slower until i hooked out a mouse with it's head chewed off

• Hippies: PM me if you have something going out there , seriously communally I have led a long, long search and do not find much.
    I need a home amoung Hippies. If it's a real-deal, I am there.
    Be well. Practice compassion. Keep in touch- minnesinger5

• Am in the process of getting a legal patch of Ancient Woodland to live on as a woodsman - so long as we coppice, manage the heather, have a few open days and such to keep the public on our side...

Current idea is to run a few wood turning courses - still in discussion about that one - legal things, in case anyone hurts themselves...

Also, another funny law... we could only live on the land for 8 months a year

• Yeah there are too many rules and structures to existing communes. We looked a few years ago at buying an ex youth hostel (22 beds, 7 acres, eco energy) for £150,000 in Ruithin in Wales - which if bought between five of us was a good deal but we didnt get our act together in time to buy it. However this year the yHA has put up loads of youth hostels for sale. It is worth checking it out and keep me in the loop. The idea was to gain some sustainable income still from still using it as a hostel in the week but hippified and also run workshops from it. We looked at the diggers and dwellers for info.

Dance on
    jackus

• I'm off to Europe to buy land soon, can't stand the shiney, shiney,gentifrication and Silent American Invasion any longer.
    ( still trying to get my posts up)
    Go Well

• I like the sound of the youth hostel idea Jackus. If a bunch of like minded people can chip together and live off the land, that's be cool. I suppose it's easier said than done though.

I've never visited a 'community' I've always been put off by rules and regulations, but I'm thinking I'd like to visit Tipi village one day, has anyone been? I'd only go for a few days but I like my independance and showers so dunno whether I'd fit in?:hippy:

• Zambakoo! Where d'ya live? Count me in!!

----------------------
    "People who give up their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both" - Benjamin Franklin
    ----------------------

• Quote from Funktion-1

Am in the process of getting a legal patch of Ancient Woodland to live on as a woodsman - so long as we coppice, manage the heather, have a few open days and such to keep the public on our side...

Current idea is to run a few wood turning courses - still in discussion about that one - legal things, in case anyone hurts themselves...

Also, another funny law... we could only live on the land for 8 months a year

have a look into charcoal burning, I believe round where we are a woodsman managed to get all year accomodation sorted as he had to be on hand to tend the charcoal fires.
    Grendel