~An insult to the dead~

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This picture was in the NY Post, alongside a story regarding the VA putting the Wiccan symbol on headstones.
    Please let them know your feelings about this image by sending your comments to NYC Post:
    letters@NYPOST.com

Not really sure what you guys that are Pagans/witches think of this but i was soooo pissed off with them taking the piss out of someones beliefs...Especially when this has to do with the many soliders that have died fighting the bloody war!

They have however since taken the picture of their website so they must have got a lot of angry responses...

• ...I may be being ignorant, but haven't they put the pentacle the wrong way up? Is that not a sign of the devil?

• Quote from Emsy

...I may be being ignorant, but haven't they put the pentacle the wrong way up? Is that not a sign of the devil?

It would appear so......

We are old, we are young, we are in this together... New Model Army....they still going?

• Quote from vermindaspirit

taking the piss out of someones beliefs...!

Possibly two more ignorant questions for you: Did he ask to be planted there??? Did he write his own epitaph??? If the answer to both those questions is yes, then surely it's John Warlock Smith who's having the last laugh!!!

• To me it looks like all the ones you can read have been made up/photoshop'd, so it really is the paper taking the piss. :mad:
    *edit* Surfer makes a good point, but whether it was april 1st or not, the tone is potentially offensive...

• err obviously the photo is photoshopped and is taking the piss. It is taken the piss about having wiccan grave stones which actually greatly annoys me...massive ignorance on the papers behalf.

• Quote from Dapablo

kinda reminds me of the cartoons about muhammed

I can see the headline now - "PHOTOEDITOR BURNED IN WICKERMAN"

• Quote from Emsy

...I may be being ignorant, but haven't they put the pentacle the wrong way up? Is that not a sign of the devil?

To those that do not understand what the Pentagram/pentacle means, then yes, but the symbol has nothing to do with the devil~

This was in the NY post within this last week and is aimed at the American soliders that have died in the recent war and their familys have campained to get their 'religion'/path symbol on their gravestones, which has just been given the go ahead~ So, its a piss take to all those dead soliders and their families~

• Why should this be offensive?

It might not be particually funny, but it should be taken in the spirit of a light-hearted edit and not an insult to the war dead.

Any sensible person sees the need to respect the deceased, especially when they have made the supreme sacrifice. That said I certainly don't view this as disrespectful and even if it is surely there are more important things to worry about ?

Ultimately it mocks a belief. Be it Scientology or Wicca, Christianity or Islam it is ultimately only what a person believes and deserves no more respect than say their political philosophy surely?

• Quote from Emsy

Nope. If you're wiccan, an inverted pentacle is simply the symbol of a second degree initiate.

Quote from Kaiya

It is taken the piss about having wiccan grave stones which actually greatly annoys me...massive ignorance on the papers behalf.

Yup. Irrespective of whether or not you believe in a person's spirituality, you shouldn't mock in that way. That degree of ignorance is the reason why people still feel the need to hide what they believe. The dead deserve respect, whatever spirtual path they followed in life.

• Quote from barefootandhappy

Nope. If you're wiccan, an inverted pentacle is simply the symbol of a second degree initiate.

See? I learned something today :D

• Quote from barefootandhappy

If you're wiccan, an inverted pentacle is simply the symbol of a second degree initiate.

... if you're part of a Coven, or if someone else initiates you. And not always in those situations, either.

• Quote from Charles E. Wheeler

... if you're part of a Coven, or if someone else initiates you. And not always in those situations, either.

My post meant in the context of being part of a Gardenerian or Alexandrian coven. After all Wicca was devised by Gerald Gardner in the 1950s.

• Yeah, I understand that, but you didn't mention the context. Non-Wiccans who aren't particularly clued-in would read your post as meaning that all Wiccans follow the system of levels of initiation, which you and I know isn't true.

• Quote from Charles E. Wheeler

Non-Wiccans who aren't particularly clued-in would read your post as meaning that all Wiccans follow the system of levels of initiation, which you and I know isn't true.

That would raise the question of whether they are genuine Wiccans....seeing as Gardner [strikethrough]bastardised the golden dawn[/strikethrough] invented it and it had 3 degrees in it then. :D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• You could question that, but the main reason I was attracted to Wicca in the first place was the sense of freedom that goes with it - the fact that everything about it has connotations of celebrating individuality, and the fact that the only time anybody has the idea of someone being or not being a "true" Wiccan is in instances of somebody obviously not understanding it, or abusing it.

That was much less coherent than I'd hoped it would be, but I think I managed to get my point across.

• wow, i think this is faked tbh, just looks it and the name and everything to be honest, but has it really been added to the list of symbols??

I thought I saw your name on a loaf of bread the other day...then saw it said Thick Cut :thumbup: