ARE THERE ANY HORSE TRAVELLER FOLK HERE?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I am just curious to know if there are any bods who bimble about in a trad wagon, or who have horses on their site, or who just like horses, or who are from travelling people?:insane:

• Quote from HippyClaude

I am just curious to know if there are any bods who bimble about in a trad wagon, or who have horses on their site, or who just like horses, or who are from travelling people?:insane:

I was a horse rider for 11 years and was semi-professional.

I also used to work with horses, riding and caring for them, also teaching riding lessons.

• I was born into a horse drawn gypsy caravan, and then we all went into a house when my younger brother and sister were born~ I have wonderful memories of life on the road~ Its in my blood because as soon as i was able i left home and went travelling myself, until i had a child of my own~ The idea now is to save up for a campervan and get out there again once my sons left secondary school~

Would love to own a horse and maybe one day that dream will be fulfilled~

• I have never been a horse drawn travelller, although I have known a few in the past but I have ridden ponies and horses since the age about 6 years old then had my own tribe of ponies/horses from the age of about 10 until I was 18 :0)

Horses are still in my family though :)

I don't ride anymore but hope to have rescue ponies/horses again one day :)

I definitely have bond with horses that's for sure...and they are definitely one of my totem animals :) and I miss not having them around me more!!

• I've riden Horses from the age of 3 years old
    I worked at a riding stables in my early 20s and i still do maintenace work for the stables and a friend who has horses
    But I've not got as Horse anymore and i don't have the time for one as i work away all the time

• I used to go riding when i was in my early teens, just as a hobby really, i would love to be a horse drawn traveller, or even just a traveller! maybe one day i will...

• I have horses!!!!!! I have two miniture shetlands who incedently are 12 today! I have had them for 11 and a half years and will *hopefully* get them fitted with a wee gig when we move house. I can't wait.
    I also sort-of have an irish cob and my sister has her welsh cod-lots of gypsie horses!
    I have been led to believe that we have travelling blood in the family, but I'm not sure whether thats a romanticied version or not.:wiggle:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Ive hung out with many a horse drawn person...used to be a wicked pub we would all meet in Oxford....last summer solstice i had a cheese fight with the guys down at there camp at Sunrise celebration....

Been hanging out with donkeys & camels lately tho!

• Quote from HippyClaude

I am just curious to know if there are any bods who bimble about in a trad wagon, or who have horses on their site, or who just like horses, or who are from travelling people?:insane:

you may be interested to know that the horsedrawn camp that run areas at the big green and sunrise are having their own gathering at the end of this month (the 29th and 30th)near swindon at watchfield.there will be quite a few bands playing and all are welcome.

• Where can one get a gypsy wagon? Do you have to make them? or Buy them ridiculously over priced as antiques? Or what?

Peace :hippy:

ps... Vern the bow top you made is beautiful... are you a carpenter by trade or was that just a hobby project?

• Quote from Irish Hippy

ps... Vern the bow top you made is beautiful... are you a carpenter by trade or was that just a hobby project?

Cheers, to be honest i was pretty crap at woodwork, but had a good understanding of it, just not the practice.
    I lived in a waggon for years, so i new the basics by looking at mine and others, also loads of photos to examine. Then i got a book on building model waggons which was quite helpful.
    I bought a dray that needed rebuilding, so i measured and drew plans before chopping it to bits to replace all the rotten wood.
    As for building the waggon it was easy enough, just a fair bit of forethought.
    To buy an everyday living waggon you're looking around £1500, but for a gold leaf Romany vardo £14000.
    Wooden wheels roll better on the roads, and look better, but they sink on the verges and can take a fair bit of pulling to get a ton of waggon of a wet camp.

• Quote from ecomamma

last summer solstice i had a cheese fight with the guys down at there camp at Sunrise celebration....

yeah, and i got caught in the cross fire........it was minging!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I bet that was SUCH a cool lifestyle..... i mean really enjoyable times.
    But it would only be as good as the people u were travelling with. Did you meet them on the road or were they settled before and u asked them to travel with you? or how did it all happen? :)
    There are not many new age travellers these days, are there? I never met any if there are, unless unwittingly speaking to them online here, but that isnt the same as actually meeting them. :insane:
    I would love to go on the road but if i am honest i dont think it will happen. But a man can dream i guess :). What kind of weekly finances and supplies would one need on the road?
    I guess actually i could plan to do it for next summer. Horses are easy to get here at the monthly horse fair, and if one could get a wagon that you could live in for 1,500 in england, then the fundamentals wouldnt be too hard to get. But how did people used to make money on the road? Temping? picking fruit? rides on the wagon (like i saw on your flikr :p)? And basically anything you can find? Or was there a set pattern?

Peace :)

• i think the best people to ask would be those living it, not the people sitting in front of their computer wishing they were living it!!

there's a horse drawn area at sunrise celebration, big green gathering and beautiful days. i'm sure there are others as well, but i cant remember off the top of my head! go to one of those and sit round the fire asking questions and seeing what its like for real.

and there's no reason at all you shouldn't be able to go on the road. loads of other people do it. if they can do it why cant you?

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• That is true Stardust but then I personally would find it hard to start asking questions by just going up to some randon horse drawn traveller...I personally would feel a right tourist .... there are a few seasoned travellers on here that did it for years like Vern... if anyone is going to know he will :)

• very true. i forgot to add the bit about using tact!!

rather than plonking yourself down and firing questions like an interogation, i suggest randomly meeting people, nattering about life in general and then getting onto horse drawn subjects if you feel it's appropriate.

i reakon these guys must expect questions seeing as alot of the events are teaching people about sustainable living, (e.g. BGG) and people are always gonna be nosey about a different sort of lifestyle. i know i'm forever answering questions about living in a bus!

if a person is passionate about a lifestyle then they shouldn't mind answering questions.

• To answer your question Irish Hippy, work wise i sold handicrafts on the road side, people seemed to love buying stuff they can tell their friends the bought from a horsedrawn traveller. Picking work I've done occasionally, if you're travelling with others so someone is at camp all day it's not a problem. Odd jods for locals, mainly gardening. Working at stable yards. On the whole the general public find horsedrawn folk more approachable.Money, all i needed was enough for food, drink & baccy, and £60 pm for shoeing one horse. Hope that gives you some idea.

• Quote from stardust

i think the best people to ask would be those living it, not the people sitting in front of their computer wishing they were living it!!

I think you'll probably find there's no horsedrawn travellers online. So as I lived the life full time, people are likely to ask me from the comfort of their own homes to get some idea, before going to some festy or 'til someone is camped near by to go and ask.

• Quote from vern

To answer your question Irish Hippy, work wise i sold handicrafts on the road side, people seemed to love buying stuff they can tell their friends the bought from a horsedrawn traveller. Picking work I've done occasionally, if you're travelling with others so someone is at camp all day it's not a problem. Odd jods for locals, mainly gardening. Working at stable yards. On the whole the general public find horsedrawn folk more approachable.Money, all i needed was enough for food, drink & baccy, and £60 pm for shoeing one horse. Hope that gives you some idea.

Thats pretty cool
    i guess its like learning to swim... u can consider the theory of it all you like, but until you go out and do it u will never know.

Thanks man :)