Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• :) Hi ive been doing poi for a few weeks now and im really getting into to it but im a bit stuck, if theres anyone that can do poi could you tell me how to do the five beat weave.

thanx :D

• ive been doing poi for yrs now and ive not long got the 5 bt weave i love it, and from the 3bt weave its just a simple (but effective) flick of the wrist, and slight pause. if ur still havin trouble after tryin that link ill have a go at talkin you through it if u like.

• homeofpoi.com is definately the place to go to learn poi.

I found that once i learnt the 5bt I never used it again, always thought it was a pretty pointless move!

• Quote from starpoi

I found that once i learnt the 5bt I never used it again, always thought it was a pretty pointless move!

:ditto:

3bt just seems to flow better for me. i think the only point to learning 5bt is to say that you can do it!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• hmm, I think the 5 beat is great! It's useful for linking things together to give you a few extra beats to get yourself set up for the next change and it's almost impossible to do a right to left (or vice versa but you know the one I mean...) hyperloop without going into a 5 beat afterwards

• With 3bt, the right hand crosses to the left side first and the left to the right side. With 5bt the right hand crosses over to the right first and the left to the left, it just requires an extra half spin each side and wrapping it round your hand slightly... :p it makes sense in my head...

Can anyone do 4bt or one-handed corkscrew?

• i've been doing poi for ages now...

me and my poi buddy have learnt the 3 and 5 beat and we're dead chuffed. only to find out that my five beat is in fact a 3 beat and my 3 beat is just crap. :(

Anyone know any meet ups for spinners? And are there going to be any of you at summer solcist (sp.)

• Quote from Boz

Anyone know any meet ups for spinners? And are there going to be any of you at summer solcist (sp.)

are you a member of DMP? they do quite alot of meets, it wikid for lessons too and a really good community for chit chat on poi. im a member but not sure how to do the invites but if ur interested i could find out about it.

• Quote from sockspinner

are you a member of DMP? they do quite alot of meets, it wikid for lessons too and a really good community for chit chat on poi. im a member but not sure how to do the invites but if ur interested i could find out about it.

I have absolutely no idea. I think i tried to get on it once but they never sent me a confirmation link....

• i have been spinning for bout 8 years now on and off and i will be at summer solstice so i propose we get all the spinners to come down and have a poi meetup there. Cauce i too would love to meet up with all you spinning maniacs! lol:hippy:

• I've just treated myself to a set, so I keep screwing up big time at the moment! :whistle: :insane: Will amble over to the link you've given and have a look. A friend of mine has been spinning poi for 5 years and she is amazing! She has a set of fire ones. One day.... :reddevil:

• Quote from Boz

I have absolutely no idea. I think i tried to get on it once but they never sent me a confirmation link....

sorry boz i only just remembered about this post ill have a scout around on DMP see who knows what to do cuz the same thing happened to me.

can u remember the username u signed up with?

• Anyone have an invite code for DMP? Just went on their site and it's invite only...

I've managed to master the 3 beat weave and the butterfly, am working on doing the butterfly behind the head and trying to to a corkscrew...

• Quote from sockspinner

sorry boz i only just remembered about this post ill have a scout around on DMP see who knows what to do cuz the same thing happened to me.

can u remember the username u signed up with?

probably Boz or PrincessBozberry or Bozberry or TwinklePea. Im not that bothered though...

• im sorry boz, u have these groats that u can buy new people in with but i dont have enough, so ive been waiting for gizmo to come online so i could ask him, but hes not been around for ages, i think ur best bet would be to re-join and wait for someone that has enough groats to invite u in. sorry about the massive delay again

• [INDENT]

Quote from sockspinner

im sorry boz, u have these groats that u can buy new people in with but i dont have enough, so ive been waiting for gizmo to come online so i could ask him, but hes not been around for ages, i think ur best bet would be to re-join and wait for someone that has enough groats to invite u in. sorry about the massive delay again

I'm alright. Im kinda going off the idea of other forums atm. Thanks though.
    [/INDENT]

• Thanks to the nioce folk that have posted links on this thread- they have all been book marked.

By the end of this summer I WILL be doing fire poi.

(whether its done well is another matter entirely)