Protests against the gas pipeline.........

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• went today and dropped off some rope. Will be going back on Wednesday with a load of stuff. Have decided that my business should donate. I give every month to different stuff and the camp is getting the March money.

Think I might spend a bit of time each week there as I think this is possibly going to be a very long haul.

If there were more people another camp could be set up to disrupt the bastards further.....

will try to get some more local publicity for the camp....

• what is needed is more distruption to the work going on. at the moment national grid is laughing as all the protestors are in one little space in brecon and they're getting on with the rest of the pipeline at super speed!! There is no-where else along the route that we can make another tree camp but a tunnel camp would be a possibility :whistle:

i'm going down there tomorrow again.

ANYONE IN GLOUCESTER OR NEARBY PM ME WITH YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING AN ACTION GROUP! (Em I have your and will be in touch later!)

• Ooh, me, me! Depends whats involved cause im busyish and without transport at the mo (although that should be fixed relatively quickly, assuming its just a flat battery and not the alternator thats gone :frust: ) but if I can help, I will. Pm'ing you now :)

I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.

• Link to BBC news

Environmental protests and a planning row have held up work

A vote which caused a further setback to the building of a controversial pipeline after being declared "unlawful" is to be retaken.
    Construction of the natural gas pipeline from Milford Haven to Gloucestershire, had already been disrupted by environmental protests.
    The vote concerns a vital link of the pipeline in Cilfrew, near Neath.
    Work at the site was delayed in March after a High Court judge ordered a planning decision be taken again.
    Permission for the above-ground pumping station was narrowly granted in September when Neath Port Talbot Council's planning committee voted 13 to 12 in favour.
    But residents who believed the situation was unfair took the decision to London's High Court.
    A judge ruled that four councillors from the Ratepayers Party had been wrongly advised to abstain from the vote.
    The councillors had been told they should not take part because they had attended an earlier protest meeting against the plans.
    As a result, they adopted a neutral stance and did not go on a site visit.
    Work suspended
    Following the High Court decision, National Grid warned that the planning row could hit the capacity of the 190-mile (320km) pipeline.
    It explained that work at Cilfrew had been suspended until planning permission was given and the pipe would not function at full capacity until this was complete.
    However, the company added that phase one of the pipeline from Milford Haven to Aberdulais, was more than 95% complete, and phase two from Felindre to Gloucestershire was "well under way".
    Construction of the pipeline, which will eventually supply up to 20% of the UK's energy needs, has been interrupted by a series of incidents.
    Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) will be shipped to Milford from the Far East and converted to natural gas at two terminals at the port before being piped to join the National Grid's main network at Gloucestershire.
    In November, work in the Swansea Valley was stopped when protestors claimed inside the pipe during a demonstration.
    Earlier this month, two people working on the pipeline near Ammanford were taken to hospital following an accident in which one was believed to have a broken leg and the other a foot injury.
    At the time, a spokeswoman said the company was committed to the safety of its workforce and a "thorough" investigation was under way.

• The vote has been re-taken as the link you added says. Tis no surprise that they are going to build the plant after all. Lets face it why spend millions putting in a pipeline and have no gas plant at the end?

Councillors have again backed plans for a vital link on a controversial gas pipeline spanning Wales after their original vote was declared "unlawful". Neath Port Talbot's planning committee has approved the installation of a pressure reduction station at Cilfrew.
    Work at the site was delayed in March after a High Court judge ordered they revisit the original planning decision.
    Some residents in the village opposed it, voicing fears of an accident or explosion and traffic concerns.
    Permission for the above-ground pumping station was narrowly granted last September when Neath Port Talbot Council's planning committee voted 13 to 12 in favour.
    But residents who believed the situation was unfair took the decision to London's High Court.
    A judge ruled in March that four councillors had been wrongly advised to abstain from the vote.
    Following the High Court decision, National Grid warned that the planning row could delay the completion of the 190-mile (320km) pipeline.
    It will run from Milford Haven to Gloucestershire and eventually supply up to 20% of the UK's gas needs.
    Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) will be shipped to Milford from the Far East and converted to natural gas at two terminals at the port before being piped to join the National Grid's main network.
    'Absolutely safe'
    Tuesday's vote was more emphatic with 22 councillors backing the application and 14 voting against.
    David Mercer of Transco, which is building the pipe, said after the meeting: "The plant is absolutely safe - as the meeting heard the Health an Safety Executive are entirely satisfied.
    "I do understand their [residents'] concerns but we have already moved this installation further away from the village."
    The project has experienced a number of set-backs including a protest last November where demonstrators climbed inside the pipe during construction in the Swansea Valley.

the story is not quite the same at the gloucester end....

• [B]Gas plant protesters get cheers[/B]

Villagers stepped forward to protest against plans to build a gas station at Corse, near Gloucester. Residents told a public inquiry that worries over noise and visual impact were reasons to ditch National Grid’s plans for a 12-chimney pressure reduction installation.

More than 10 councillors, environmental campaigners and residents took the stand at Corse and Staunton Village Hall to air their views at the inquiry.

The audience clapped and cheered as the arguments were put forward last Thursday.

Carole Magloyden, chairman of the Corse and Staunton Parish Plan Committee, had compiled the opinions of the people of Corse and surrounding villages.

“I can categorically state that no one I’ve spoken to in Corse, Staunton, Hartpury or Upleadon supports the proposals,” she told the hearing.

“There is significant mistrust of National Grid among the residents of our community who not only perceive it as a large corporation with no regard for local people or the rural environment, but have suffered directly from the corporation’s lack of consultation, misinformation and lies.”

Carole outlined main areas of concern from her point of view, including worries over damage to the rural environment, visual intrusion and light pollution, noise and the danger of having such a large plant so close.

She said: “The risks are wholly unacceptable to our community.

“We are being asked to put our homes and indeed our lives at risk and for what? To save National Grid money. No more and no less.”

Other speakers included Dr John Heap, of Church Lane in nearby Eldersfield.

He said: “Evidence produced in the recent terrorist trial at the Old Bailey in London included disks containing the maps of the national network of gas pipes and it’s above-ground installations which would have been used as targets for disruption of national energy supplies - and at the same time put communities like ours in immense danger.”

Submissions were also made by residents, including farmer Phillip Burford, Tewkesbury borough and Gloucestershire county councillor Philip Awford, Tirley parish councillor Margaret Dale, Mary Newton of the Forest of Dean Friends of the Earth and Brian Parsons, who lives at Linkend Road, Corse Lawn.

• Gas pipe workers injured at site

Two people working on the gas pipeline have been taken to hospital following an accident on site near Ammanford. One was taken from Capel Hendre by Air Ambulance to Morriston Hospital in Swansea while the other went by road.

A spokeswoman for the National Grid said it was believed one had a broken leg and the other a foot injury. She said the company was committed to the safety of its workforce and a “thorough” investigation was under way.

The controversial 200 mile pipeline will carry natural gas from two liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals at Milford Haven to Tirley in Gloucestershire.

A spokeswoman for Swansea NHS Trust confirmed two people had been admitted on Friday morning. She said one was in a serious but stable condition although the injuries were not life threatening. She added the other was expected to be discharged following treatment.

See National Grid’s safety record HERE, you can click on links from that page to look at more in depth reports.

• Quake fears over pipeline

A news article has been written looking into the worrying effect of the increased amount earthquakes on the pipeline HERE. National Grid defend themselves by saying “We would not construct the pipeline if we didn’t think it was safe for people in the vicinity.” Yet now attention has been drawn to this problem National Grid have to re-evaluate to see if all risks have been properly assessed. National Grid have already put people at risk and had to be stopped by the Department of Trade and Industry for using explosives on an area prone to landslides.

Once again National Grid show their incompetence for developing such a huge, destructive and dangerous project. Would you bet your life on National Grid creating a safe pipeline? If not…act now…get involved.

• Stand Up For Our Rivers This Summer

The Safe Haven Network have written a press release regarding the impact that National Grid will have on our rivers. Nacap Land and Marine are wanting to hydrostatically test the pipes by pumping gallons of our river water through them. This year is expected to be the hottest yet and water will be a limit resource. National Grid, Transco and Nacap are neglecting serious issues which will lead to disaster.

• There is now a mailing list for info on our actions, events and new information. Send an email to fightthepipe@hotmail.co.uk or PM me your email address and I'll add you.

There has been an action group formed in Gloucester to raise awareness about the pipeline and to protest against the pipeline. We meet up around once month and also stage direct actions, put on benefit gigs and have info stalls in Gloucester and at local events. Please send an email to fightthepipe@hotmail.co.uk for more information or contact us through our myspace HERE We would love to hear from anyone whether you just want email updates on what we are doing, put up a few posters and give leaflets to friends or get involved with direct actions. Together we can make a difference!

Radio 4 ran a story about the pipeline on the You and Yours programme. Listen to it HERE

The Guardian has run a story about the pipeline see it HERE

International press are taking notice too!

• We are happy to announce that we will be running a stall at the 2000 trees festival in Cheltenham on 29th June - 1st July. A few of us will be there to talk about the pipeline from the environmental and climate change issues to safety issues as well as the sort of direct actions we have taken. We will have leaflets to give out and will be collecting donations to go towards printing more leaflets and doing more direct actions. Please come and visit us there!

2000 trees festival is a new festival for 2007 with ‘green’ ethics behind it and less commercial emphasis than mainstream festivals. Tickets are £32.67 and under 15s are free, more info on their website HERE and their myspace HERE.

We will also be be running a stall at the Workhouse festival in Llanfyllin on July 13th & 14th. A few of us will be there to talk about the pipeline from the environmental and climate change issues to safety issues as well as the sort of direct actions we have taken. We will have leaflets to give out and will be collecting donations to go towards printing more leaflets and doing more direct actions. They will also be showing some film footage that has been taken of the actions against the pipeline so far. Please come and visit us there!

Workhouse festival is a lovely festival in beautiful surroundings with brilliant bands playing and less commercial emphasis than mainstream festivals. Tickets are £40 for adults £15 for teenagers and under 12s are free, more info on their website HERE and their myspace HERE.

• Sign THIS PETITION to save Cefn Drum common from compulsory purchase for the pipeline project. Cefn Drum is a protected natural habitat and as a private company, National Grid should not be allowed to purchase and destroy our landscapes of historical, scientific or ecological importance for the purpose of profit.

• Sorting out the communal kitchen...

Hard at work!...

Treehouse and platform...

Cooking dinner at camp...

Sweat lodge at camp...

• New communal bender with burner inside...

Hammock...

New treehouse built on scaffolding...

The beautiful woodland floor, soon to be destroyed...

• Just in case there is any confusion....

Natural Gas is a naturally occurring mixture of hydrocarbon and non-hydrocarbon gases found in porous geological formations beneath the earth’s surface. The principal component is methane. Natural gas is a fossil fuel formed when layers of buried plants and animals decompose over a long period of time. Natural gas is the cleanest burning fossil fuel is odourless and colourless. So although it is better for the environment than other fossile fuels the fact remains that this is a fossil fuel and will be used up. We will use it far quicker than it is formed!

Even if you think that it is OK to use this can you honestly say it's OK to build a pipeline through one of our national parks. Is it OK to build a pipeline with such high pressure that other countries won't allow these near residential buildings even though this one does and is next to a school in Trebanos!

• yep the camp is still there, if you can get to gloucester i'll give you a lift no worries. i'll be going to hay-on-wye this saturday for the literature festival to give out leaflets with the other protesters.

• Today National Grid visited the Brecon protest site to give 'notice to leave'. The notice didn't look like a legal document and National Grid were told to take us to court.

Whilst eviction isn't happening right now this is the first stage and people are needed to get down to the camp in the next week or so to prepare for eviction.

Please get down there if you can! :hippy:

• ight i decided if I cant finda lift up there im gonna hitchike there, its gonna be trippy as I havent hitchiked before but hopefully it all sessions well
    peace x

• After this weekend I won't be going again until 9th June, we are doing an info stall in Gloucester city centre that day to raise awareness and once thats done I'll be going to Brecon for the night and all of Sunday. Hopefully they won't have been evicted by then.

• well my parents have decided to be pricks and not let me go cos they dont know any1 im goin with cos i couldnt find no1 to go withcos they have work and stuff, my dad said somethin about how it sounds boring and hed let me go to somethin it was fun, prick, im gona try talk them into lettin me go or just goin anyways
    peace

• To oppose National Grid's 197 Mile long, 48 inches wide, 94 bar pressure gas pipe that is running through the Brecon Beacon National Park there has been a protest site set up along the route, this is currently preventing National Grid causing more destruction in this area. Having the camp is delaying work which will cost them millions of pounds and gives us time to work on stopping them indefinitely. It's also fun, educational and free. Unfortunately the time has come and eviction is due any day now, so...

We invite you to join us on site for our open day on Saturday 9th June:

There will be:
    Free Workshops (including Climbing Instruction by our qualified instructor)
    Free Food (suitable for Vegans)
    Information and display board about this pipeline
    Free Accommodation (if you want to stay)
    Advise and guidance in protesting
    Fun, frolics and friendship!

This is the perfect way to learn more about why we are protesting this pipeline, what can be done about it and to experience life on a protest site.

The Brecon Camp is located about 5 miles from Brecon Town Centre, in the National Park on the A40 (West of Brecon). It is opposite Penpoint Church and is obviously marked with banners. Parking is available in front of the camp, or a bus goes along the road every two hours and will stop outside, or hitching is usually possible. If you want to come down but have difficultly with transport, email us, we might be able to help you.

For more information check: http://www.fightthepipe.co.uk or email us at fightthepipe@hotmail.co.uk

Brecon Tree Camp Site phone number is 07903152822