The Sunrise Celebration 2007

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• And another thing.... some people expressed some concerns about this festival. It's only your belligerent and confrontational attitude that's dragging these points out, resulting in far more negative comments than would otherwise have been made.

• I am on both sides of the fence for this one!!

Yeah, there could have been some problems last year. Sometimes the positives outweigh the negatives though like Atomic said, and people have fun anyway, one of my favourite festivals last year had some organisation issues i.e workshops cancelled etc, DJs going missing etc. But to be honest when I was there it did not affect my enjoyment at all. The location was magical, beautifal scenery, great vibe, really nice people, great chill-out etc. The problems were such a minor issue compared to the overall enjoyment of the whole festival, and that is what should be focused upon.

I never go to a festival expecting everything to be perfect though, mainly because these types of festivals in my opinion are underground/small/alternative/hippy gatherings usually just starting out as Angus said. They are also a lot cheaper then mainstream festivals so I expect a few things to go wrong.

Of course it does not mean that these negative issues things should be left untouched and not discussed. My favourite festival last year asked us on a forum on how it could be improved and have made the suitable changes. So this year it should be better!!! Also, people like stardust should be payed for the time and effort if they are owed it. That is wrong!!!

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

• I wouldn't argue with a word of that. :D

• Quote from Atomik

Are you saying people should expect to get ripped off and not complain when they are?

no - it is a gamble - the organisers probably fully intended on paying everyone - events transpired that there was not enough money in the pot to pay everyone, and stardust just had the misfortune to be lower on the list - would you be so critical of the festival if she was above that cut-off point?

• Quote from slightly mad angus

no - it is a gamble - the organisers probably fully intended on paying everyone - events transpired that there was not enough money in the pot to pay everyone

And the point in question is whether that eventuality was reasonably avoidable and/or predictable. Put it this way: I can't say I was surprised.

and stardust just had the misfortune to be lower on the list - would you be so critical of the festival if she was above that cut-off point?

Yes. Although frankly, I'm really not that critical of the festival. It's only the fact that you're still flogging this dead horse that's drawing further comment out of me on the subject.

• yup. i'm getting tired of this one to.

i worked 12-16 hours a day (which was waaaaay more than i'd agreed to in the first place). i didn't actually get to see that much of the festival in the first place.

if they'd said to me "sorry - we cant pay you - we've cocked up" i'd have appreciated the honesty and probably let it go, as we're not talking about that much money anyway.

i'm pissed off coz of the constant lying. you seem to think i'm just pissed off about the fact that i gambled on a festival that went a bit tits up.

i'm not.

i'm pissed off with liars.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• If I am working on a festival, then it is because I like the festival - and therefore, I do it for free... maybe I should become more of a capitalist, and charge for my time, helping to drive up the costs even further..... eh?

The organisers probably fully intended on paying everyone - events transpired that there was not enough money in the pot to pay everyone

Some the best festivals I have ever been to were in there first years and had financial issues and could not afford to pay people/went bankrupt!!! It did not affect the enjoyment of the festival at all, they were magical. So in this case I am looking forward to Sunrise and I think it will be amazing. But then again I am the end consumer, I think it is still wrong not to pay people who work there and could mess up the future of the festival i.e Business Relationships.

All in All though, will still be lush.............

'You have not seen a real women, untill you have seen a beautifal hippy girl dancing bare foot in a field'

If I am working on a festival, then it is because I like the festival - and therefore, I do it for free...

same here. i very rarely ever get paid. i work for the love of it. sunrise was different because i worked so fucking hard and had been promised money then lied to.

maybe I should become more of a capitalist, and charge for my time, helping to drive up the costs even further..... eh?

i work the festivals all summer, mostly with out pay. how the fuck am i supposed to get between festivals if i dont get the occasional bit of money.

my bus dont run on fairy dust you know.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

lesson: don't work on festivals... and expect payment - even if they say they will pay...

you still dont get it do you???

my main issue is with the lying, not the lack of payment.

money would be nice, but like i already said - it's not alot of money and i'd have let it go if they'd been honest.

Honesty is a bit of an issue for you at the moment - I'd be more concerned with your current permanent employer lying to you than a previous casual one...

two entirely different situations.

i cant be arsed with this one anymore. i've said all i have to say about sunrise. if you want me to pm you the very long list of all the other people they've screwed over and lied about then i will, but i dont see the point in this one anymore.

Honesty is a bit of an issue for you at the moment - I'd be more concerned with your current permanent employer lying to you than a previous casual one...

I've had enough of these obnoxious and personal comments, and Mr Angus has now been removed from further participation in this thread.

• For those of you who are still left participating in this thread.....despite the accusations thrown at me, I actually really enjoyed this festival.

Funnily enough I live in the same community as the organisers and know quite a lot about them - this gives me even more of an informed opinion, hence my cynicism. :reddevil:

Like Stu, I'd really like this festival to succeed and to continue each year. There are so many festivals every year that you have to pick and choose the ones that you're willing to pay for (unless you've got shit loads of money!). In this case I don't want to pay out a lot of money for stuff that may not happen when I can pay the same amount of money and know what I'm getting.

• Like i have said already, it is interesting to see how opinions vary on this one. I have just been on my other web sites and is all very positive. Almost 'cult' like status.

I guess i will find out soon enough....................................

• Hello to all!

mmm there seems to be some funny things going on here about sunrise so i would like to add some postive thought about sunrise.

There is a great line up this year and i no its going to be a great festie this year!
    i had a wicked time last year and for me it was the best vibe to be had all year!
    it was just like what festies should be!
    so far the line up looks like this.....

Dreadzone
    Ozric Tentacles
    Ska Cubano
    Eat Static
    Trancient Dreams
    Paul Didge
    Dream Machine
    The Egg (tbc)
    Fortune Drive
    Mancini
    Babel
    Dragonsfly
    Green Angels
    Cosmosis
    Tristan
    Ott -
    OOOD
    Zubzub
    The Breakfastaz
    Control-Z

And there are still more Acts to be listed!!!

• Quote from Atomik

What happened to the Ozrics? They still playing or not?

They are up on the official web site. If eat static are performing, ozrics usally play to.............

• Quote from Dapablo

My mates will have their Geodesic domes alongside again, was a nice part of the last festival, well I would say that wouldn't I. :)

Probably see you there then, find the GD shirt and give us a boogie. :wiggle:

What are these domes, are those the huge Eden Project bubble things they have in the ID Spiral pictures. What goes on in them????

I will keep an eye out for the GD shirt...........

• in the big dome there is a great cafe with a bakery doing bread and other nice things!
    and the have djs and bands play in there, the space they have looks amazing at night,i had some great times in there:)

• Quote from moonpup

What are these domes, are those the huge Eden Project bubble things they have in the ID Spiral pictures. What goes on in them????

I will keep an eye out for the GD shirt...........

Nope the smaller canvas covered ones. More like an expansion of the main dome, more area to protect from the elements I suppose.

Captured last year, thanks to Atomik. :)

• hello here is the latest news letter from the sunrise team!

The Sunrise Celebration, Bearly Farm, South Somerset
    The UK’s Leading Sustainable Festival!
    http://www.sunrisecelebration.com
    31st May till 4th June

THE SUMMER OF LOVE 2007!

The Very Best in Alternative Culture
    Winners of the Shelter Award for Social Responsibility at the UK Festival Awards 2006

“Sunrise was the best new festival of 2006 by far - beautiful vibe, full of surprises....
    the diversity of creativity and ideas was a joy...it totally captured what is best about English festivals...
    really free, lots of heart and great music... kind of how I always imagined
    Glastonbury would have felt in its early years”

Nick Ladd, Creative Director, Glade Festival.

13 Arena laid out in a Giant Mandala
    15 Music Stages!
    100’s of Live Bands and Djs
    * Dress Up Saturday Night*

Solar Cinemas - Circus and Cabaret - Fairy and Surreal Gardens -Talks - Workshops

Earth Mysteries - Permaculture - Woodhenge - Village Fate - Visionary Art - Green Crafts

Site Wide Organic Food – 100% Sustainably Powered
    Family Friendly!

Tickets only £80 advance/£90 on the gate (subject to availability), Kids £20.
    Luxury Camping Option – Quiet Family Camping
    Info: 0845 0093647
    Book now: http://www.gtickets.co.uk
    call Bristol Ticket Shop: 0845 1080259

The Sunrise Stage:

** OJOS DE BRUJO **
    Tbc Tuesday
    Translated as ‘the eyes of the sorcerer’,
    producing an spicy mix of Flamenco and Street Rumba come Hip-Hop
    with Afro-Cuban and Asian flavours and some scratching thrown in!
    Very Exciting Score to add to a truly inspirational line-up!
    Dreadzone – Eat Static – The Ozric Tentacles – Ska Cubano - Dragonsfly - Mordekkers
    Mancini - Fortune Drive – Dream Machine - The Egg – Zion Train

The Fish Seeks Bicycle Undercover Stage:
    With Dress up fun, Mischievous Shenanigans and
    a genre salad of Ska/swing/world beats/fruity breaks/gypsy and folk including…
    *Baka Beyond * The Baker Brothers * No 1 Station * Milk Kan * Smerins Anti-Social Club * The Vagabond Boogaloo Club *
    * The Crafty Rascals * Rose Kemp * The Cedar * Bad Science *

ID Spiral Chill-Out
    Etherial Electonica and Out of this world Chill-out Paradise!
    Live…Mauxuam–Mint–Poleststar–Slack Baba–Cheju–Runpistol
    - Ishq – Sunosis
    DJ’s…Natalie and Nick Interchill – Naugal Sound Experiment – Aliji
    Naked Nick – Larry Lush – Tom Fu – and more…

And Launching...
    The Waveform Project
    in association with Tribe Of Frog and Archangel Breaks…
    ‘An exciting Synergy of Underground Dance Culture’
    Cosmosis – Ott – Scorb – ZubZub – Ans – Djems - Drum Monkeys – Subsource – Fortune Drive

Other Stages include....
    The Being Human World Music Stage – The Bimble Inn – Breton Stage
    Cats Cradle Stage – Triban – Off The Path Café – Eco Shelter Café

The 13 Arenas....

*4 Full Days Entertainment!*

Tickets £80 advance/£90 on the gate (subject to availability), Kids £20.
    Luxury Camping Option – Quiet Family Camping
    info: 0845 0096347

BOOK YOUR TICKETS NOW:
    www.gtickets.co.uk
    call Bristol Ticket Shop: 0845 1080259

• And here is more news from the sunrise team!

Strike Ojos de Brujo.... Replace with Alabama 3... Some corners Joy, some disappointment.. Sadly 2 members of the Ojos band were not up for it in the end when it came to crunch time, they are in Norway at that time and didn’t want to have to travel miles... Fair play we understand, but we were under the impression that everyone in the band a knew and b wanted to come, and only found out yesterday that it was not the case.... Still think they are absolutely kick ass fantastic though, que lastima ojos, vamous a ver otro vez!

This summer is the anniversary of the ‘67 Summer of Love, so sunrise will be kicking off the 2007 summer of love with style!

The winner of the Compost Toilet Comp Was the Tree bog, which uses the shit to fertilise growing willow trees! It is pretty cool that environmental health allowed it as its abit out of their comprehension range, but causes loads of environmental benefits eg no heavy vehicle traffic to remove waste, no grey water to dispose of, minimises water use, no chemicals into the environment, and completes the natural cycle by making shit useful again!

Astrologer’s backing is a good Sign for The Sunrise Celebration!

Jonathan Cainer, astrologer and writer, is a major backer for the Sunrise Celebration, Bearly Farm, South Somerset, which is to be held for the second time from 31st May till 4th June 2007.

Cainer attended Sunrise 2006, which was awarded the Shelter Award for Social Responsibility, at the 2006 UK Festival Awards, and was so impressed with the vibe and content he chose to support the event.

“Sunrise is a glorious coming together of the best of alternative culture that makes this land of ours such a glorious place to live! I very much enjoyed last year’s event and eagerly await this year!” Says Jonathan.

Featuring 13 areas, laid out in a giant mandala Sunrise has been said to carry the magic that once put festivals like Glastonbury on the map in its early days! With more than 13 Music and performance stages, with 100’s of live acts and DJ’s, talks on ancient wisdom, modern innovation, contemporary issues and earth mysteries. Workshops, Films, Woodhenge, Enchanted Green Crafts, a circus and so much more! All family friendly and run entirely on Sustainable energy with a site wide Organic Policy!

It must bode well for organisers and attendees alike that Mr. Cainer with his impressive stella connections sees Sunrise amongst the stars!

Check out his awesome predictions, we do every day in the office, I’m sure he writes them especially for me!

Nick Ladd Compares us to Glastonbury in it early days:
    “Sunrise was the best new festival of 2006 by far -beautiful vibe, full of surprises.... the diversity of creativity and ideas was a joy... it totally captured what is best about English festivals...really free, lots of heart and great music... kind
    of how I always imagined Glastonbury would have felt in its early years”
    - Nick Ladd, creative director, Glade Festival.

What an awesome quote, we love you Nick! We had a laugh in the office as he says ‘really free’ and last year Sunrise was really free in the monetary sense to at least half the attendees, so it might be good to tie in that many measures have been taken to ensure ultra tight security and no blaggers....
    If people want to have festivals to enjoy they need to contribute inorder to come, there is way too much blagging accepted in our scene, and people need to exchange in order to make tings sustainable!

• but do you realise that its not 70s any more and in fact it is 2007:)
    and that the costs of putting on this festie are reaching £500,000
    and if £80 is a problem then you should of got a ticket when they where on £65:)

• and here is more news from the sunris team!

Michael Eavis compares the award winning local Sunrise Celebration festival to Glastonbury in its early years!

The Sunrise Celebration, Bearley Farm, South Somerset 31st May - 4t june 2007 is Glastonbury’s latest home grown festival reminding Michael Eavis of when he started out.

“The Sunrise Celebration seems to me to be something like it was here about 35 years ago, if you can’t get our tickets and you want a bit of something a little less frantic and hectic then have a go at this show just down the road from Worthy Farm”

Michael Eavis, Worth Farm, 17th April 2007

Sunrise is produced by Glastonbury based, Family Gathering Ltd. and includes much of the content of Glastonbury Festival’s Green Fields plus a whole load more with cinemas, gardens, art galleys, Circus and games. So much so that it has attracted the support of Jonathan Cainer, Daily Mail Astrologer and best selling author who gave a talk at the 2006 event.

Sunrise is a glorious coming together of the best of alternative culture that makes this land of ours such a glorious place to live! I very much enjoyed last year’s event and eagerly await this year!”

Says Jonathan who put up his own money to help the Award winning festival into its second year.

Sunrise won the Shelter Award for Social Responsibility at the UK Festival Awards last year due to its impressive environmental credentials, Shelter Chief Executive Adam Sampson says:

"We're thrilled to use Shelter's own Award to recognise those festival organisers who not only put on a great party but also used their events to bring about positive social change.”

"My warm congratulations to the organisers of the Sunrise Celebration, which sets a new benchmark when it comes to music festivals operating sustainably and engaging effectively with the local community."

Sunrise claims to be the UK’s leading Sustainable Festival, run on 100% renewable energy, they are working in conjunction with the South Somerset District Council on sustainability.

Tickets are selling fast and the line up is inspirational with 100’s of live bands playing on 12 stages, including Alabama3, The Ozric Tentacles, Eat Static, Dreadzone, The Egg and much more.

Visit www.sunrisecelebration.com to see what else you will find there!

Tickets £80 advance/£90 on the gate (subject to availability), for 4 days including camping. Kids £20. under 5 free.
    Booking Hotline: 0845 1080259 /or on line with www.gtickets.com
    Info: 0845 0096347 www.sunrisecelebration.com

Editors Notes:

For Comments from organisers:

Press and Photos:

||[URL='http://javascript:S('getmsg','','','','','E252351A-9DD7-4D0A-8ECB-0E477FB31129','','','prev','')'][/URL]|[URL='http://javascript:S('getmsg','','','','','E252351A-9DD7-4D0A-8ECB-0E477FB31129','','','next','')'][/URL]||Inbox

• Quote from paul didge

but do you realise that its not 70s any more and in fact it is 2007:)

The 70s isn't the 90s. ;)

and if £80 is a problem then you should of got a ticket when they where on £65:)

Already got tickets. :harhar:

I do think it's over-priced for what's on offer though.