I Believe in War

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Atomik

You called me patronising. I responded by being more patronising, thus recognising my own patronising comment for what it was. It's called self-effacing humour. Stop being so uptight. :rolleyes:

no! its what us middle class postgraduate students are like these days, all sore around the edges:eek:

• Quote from Firinne

It's still an illusion though, because it's power drawn from a percieved dominance that in actuality is impossible to achieve.

Is it an illusion if it works though? 100% dominance may well be impossible but that doesnt mean effective dominance is impossible....

Quote from Shaman

That's one good reason why we need a new 'civilization' - or at least a new culture on a global level.
    The old power/war games can only lead us to destruction.

:eek:

Global culture?!!

Sounds too much like every tyrant the world has seen!

The old values on which war is based have to go, that includes things like nationalism. religion etc.

Setting aside that religion and civilisation are inseperable.....:whistle:.....your argument sounds like Hobbes' (that war will only be removed with a universal unbeatable power/authority policing everything). Is the price too high?

Quote from Atomik

The law's no real deterrent to punching someone.

If you are talking about "alcohol assisted" you'd be right, but I beg to differ on most other cases.

But property is hardly fundamental to our nature, is it? If we're talking about the natural human condition, then we wouldn't own "things" to worry about leaving behind. In our natural state, we'd be more likely to run in the face of danger. Sure, we'd fight to defend ourselves or our loved ones, but that's survival rather than aggression.

Its about boundaries and territory - and aggression is just about changing boundaries and territory (which is why its usually taught to be "evil" by the established power-base as obviously they dont want it to change...).

If you like, we can throw together a poll and see how many people would choose violence as a first option in the absence of penal deterrent. When it proves my point, you can then argue that you know more about people's nature than they do themselves, and thus we'll no doubt end up going round in circles yet again. :sleep:

:rolleyes:

Words are cheap and such a poll would be meaningless - judge people on what they do when tested, not what they claim when not :)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

If you are talking about "alcohol assisted" you'd be right, but I beg to differ on most other cases.

Well we'll have to differ then. I don't know anyone who'd think twice about the law if they felt inclined to hit someone.

Its about boundaries and territory - and aggression is just about changing boundaries and territory (which is why its usually taught to be "evil" by the established power-base as obviously they dont want it to change...).

Tangent...

Words are cheap and such a poll would be meaningless - judge people on what they do when tested, not what they claim when not :)

... and the vast majority of people get by in life without hitting anyone or feeling the need to. Case proved. :harhar:

• Quote from Atomik

... and the vast majority of people get by in life without hitting anyone or feeling the need to. Case proved. :harhar:

i really think thats such an incorrect statement, you seem to paint the majority of the world with no violence in them whatsoever! im sure people restrain themselves for fear of being hit back, but im sure everyones thought about hitting someone at one point or another...its hardly case proved just by saying that its your opinion:whistle:

• Quote from Joel

i really think thats such an incorrect statement, you seem to paint the majority of the world with no violence in them whatsoever! im sure people restrain themselves for fear of being hit back, but im sure everyones thought about hitting someone at one point or another

I think you're failing to understand the line of reasoning. I've said repeatedly that violence is an aspect of human nature and have at no point denioed that people the world over "have it in them". The point I'm disputing is your assertion that it's a fundamental part of their nature... which it clearly isn't, since the vast majority of people don't seem to need to hit one another in order to resolve conflicts.

...its hardly case proved just by saying that its your opinion:whistle:

Has someone removed your sense of humour gland today? Did you not notice the smilie? I would've thought it was fairly obvious I wasn't being serious. :rolleyes:

• Quote from Atomik

Has someone removed your sense of humour gland today? Did you not notice the smilie? I would've thought it was fairly obvious I wasn't being serious. :rolleyes:

i dont have a sense of humour didnt you know?;)