How to sketch

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• hay guys

I need help. Remember in my mobile phone thread in 101 I mentioned the film noir/gangster style film I'm doing with friends? Well, one of the guys acting as Producer has decided it's not going as he planned :rolleyes: and is thinking of scrapping it, but I still want to keep it going. I'm switching to plan B, which is to scrap the human live acting thing and moving the whole thing to flash animation, which should be better (if anyone has bought or seen the preview for Hotel Dusk on the DS, think of that but a bit less talented and with English accents). This gives me the better conditions of not having to have all the guys I need for scenes in the same place at the same time, and also means I have more control over actors' physical movements. It also means I can work on it in my own time, rather than being rushed...

The two big drawbacks that stopped me from taking this path already are:

• I'd need to learn Flash
    • I'd need to learn how to draw

The first one...I have a few tutorials I can use already. The second...I can't even spell pensil, never mind use one well. Can anyone point me to a good tutorial or book or something that'll make this idea look more like a dark modern-day take on the film noir genre and less like something a five year old drew while on coke?

The one thing I've decided so far is it'll mainly be black background with white pencil sketching. Damn, I'll have to buy a scanner too. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Hell, I'll get John to buy me one, since he loves throwing his title of Producer around so much...

• Cheers Sensi :) I might take you up on that...I'll see if I can find out what I need to know online first though, don't want to inconvenience you if I can find it online...will keep it in mind though. Thanks again :)

• i can't help you with flash as i dunno how to use it, although i reckon you'll need lotsa practise before you can do the stuff for your animation :D
    as for drawing, as sensi says there are loadsa books which teach you how to draw but the most important thing is PRACTISE. take a sketch-pad round with you and draw stuff you see.
    don't expect miracles though, it'll take time :)

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Cheers Katie :) I took the practice advice just now, spent about 35 minutes sketching one of my friends. His character in the film is Max, the mysterious informant who helps the main guy out of a few tight spots. I was using a random piece of paper and a bluntish half-sized pencil, but even with that I've figured out a few spots I need practice on...lips/mouth (which will add to expression overall), hands (especially when one is holding a gun :rolleyes:) and a couple of other things.

Things to improve upon a plenty :) I found myself trying to find parts of the image to scale other parts of it with...the upper body mainly, when I got further down the sizes of objects (legs, end of the coat and stuff like that) were too big to accurately scale. Maybe my eye for that will improve over time.

Max actual:

Max drawing:

Yeah, it looks like his left leg is gammy. I blame it on the picture cutting it off slightly, and it confusing me.

• that's really good :D keep up the practise XD it's better than i could do, i suck at real life ^___^
    let me know how u get on :)
    the hand looks fine btw, the mouth is alright too depending on how cartoony you mind it being
    are you planning on colouring?

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Cheers :) The film was originally going to be black & white to catch the film noir essence, but if it's animated I'm considering colouring it...unless I can get really good at shading, it'll look a bit bland with just normal pencil all the way through. Maybe colouring some parts and leaving other grey...I had the idea of doing a red dot gunsight, maybe doing water coloured, stuff like that.

I think the main problem is that the pencil was blunt, so getting detail into the mouth was damn near impossible. Got some supplies today, so that shouldn't be an [strikethrough]excuse[/strikethrough] anymore :D

did you do any sausages and circles before you got down to detail? if you need to get the proportions done fast then it's a good trick.

No, I just opened the picture up on my PC and copied it. Because of that, some of the perspective is a bit off (you can't tell in the webcam pic, it's a bit blurred)...I'd do the sausage and circle thing, but the last time I did it, I ended up getting the proportions of the sausages and circles wrong :rolleyes: something to practice though :)

• sausages and circles aren't a necessity but can be helpful especially when you're starting. i've never used them tbh, i start on the eyes and work outwards. everyone is different though, just find what suits u :)

• Learning to draw and then learning to draw in flash are two completely different things!

I'm learning flash atm, its tricky but good fun. There are a lot of good online tutorials. I think the best way to learn is to just play around on it with simple stuff to start with like animating simple shapes etc..

• Quote from starpoi

Learning to draw and then learning to draw in flash are two completely different things!

I was considering two different options...either buying a PC pen tablet thing and using that to draw in Flash, or drawing on paper, scanning the drawings in, importing 'em into Flash then putting 'em into the right orders to create the animation, possibly adding small effects using Flash's tools. It's not going to be remarkably smooth animation (see the Hotel Dusk trailer from the first post of the thread)...it'll still be a lot of work, but I know a few tricks to prevent me having to do too much ;)

• if you're gonna do the 2nd one maybe you could learn to photoshop the pictures and colour them like that? :D
    or that might be asking too much hehe but it would look immense :wiggle:

• Although you can import pictures into flash you wouldn't really be able to do what you want with them...its complicated to explain but you are much better off doing your drawing in Flash than importing them.

You might want to start a flash thread in the computers section so the geeks can answer your flash questions.....I've only been playing with it for a couple of weeks so don't really know what I am doing!

• Just as a warning - drawing with a tablet is quite different to drawing with a pencil.

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

sausages and circles aren't a necessity but can be helpful especially when you're starting. i've never used them tbh, i start on the eyes and work outwards. everyone is different though, just find what suits u :)

i do that too!!!
    i sooo don't practice what i preach lol:whistle:

• Quote from Naeni

Theres a book called Drawing on the right side of the brain which I've been told is quite good

But I wanna draw on paper :( :harhar:

I'm trying to draw Sam Neill at the moment. Kind of an in-joke between friends. I'll post the pic I'm working from later today maybe, got to get ready for college now

• Quote from Darkflame

Just as a warning - drawing with a tablet is quite different to drawing with a pencil.

How is it? I may as well find out and weigh up the pros and cons of using one before buying one :)

Hedgewitch - I think the thicker grade is HH, although I'm proabbly remembering wrong. I'll see if I can find out...cheers :)

I'll start that thread in a bit, Starpoi...but I may as well keep drawing, since I need the practice no matter how different flash and tablet drawing is :D

I might actually be able to do rotoscoping (I think that's what it's called)...might look decent :)

Anyway, just finished this. I was asking Elfie about drawing using white pen on black paper for a different effect, and when I couldn't find any black paper I decided to try an alternative...

I really need a darker pencil. And a scanner. And a lifetime supply of erasers :D

• Quote from Power_13

Anyway, just finished this. I was asking Elfie about drawing using white pen on black paper for a different effect, and when I couldn't find any black paper I decided to try an alternative...

I really need a darker pencil. And a scanner. And a lifetime supply of erasers :D

that's awesome :) you dont need a darker pencil though, if u just press harder it shd b fine (not so the lead breaks though :rolleyes: )
    :D
    btw, how are you uploading them if u dnt hv a scanner...?

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

btw, how are you uploading them if u dnt hv a scanner...?

Basically, I turn on my desk lamp so it nearly blinds me, then I hold the page up to my webcam and use print screen :) Primitive method, but it works :D

I'll press down harder next time...I did that one at about 5am, so I didn't want to wake everybody up with the scratching sound. I'd have posted it then, but the damn lamp fuse blew :(