Please take my piggys..

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from MrAHC

you shouldnt have so many if you canny look after em, sounds abit waco to me.

They found me I didn't find them. And it was either live with me or die neglected at the bottom of someones garden so I'm sure getting them in the first place was not a wrong choice.

I could look after them at the time but now situations have chnaged, so I'd advise you not to judge so quickly thankyou.

• Quote from MrAHC

I totaly agree with Wiggy I'm afraid. Maybe she should of had a more grown up attitude and done some more reserch into what happens when large amounts of annimals are keped in close confinement together...
    Sorry for being blunt but thats how I am.

Done some research? I could write a book on everything there is to know about guinea pigs even to the extent of recognising diseases and such thankyou. They arent in "close confinement" they have a bigger space than anywhere I have personally seen and that includes at the zoo and a petting zoo. And if you mean that by males and females breeding that is not the case at all they have been kept seporate! And YES I do know how to tell very accurately which is which!

i know I may come across as "aww cute piggys hehe" but when it comes down to their care I am very serious about how they are looked after.

• While we all probably agree Naeni is a bit of a nutter :D I thought the problem here was a lack of funds more than anything else?

That said, how come you cant go to the PDSA Naeni?

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

PDSA only help you if you're the house owner and are recieving benefits!!!

At least, that's what they told me.

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Quote from elfqueenofrohan

PDSA only help you if you're the house owner and are recieving benefits!!!

At least, that's what they told me.

:eek:

That doesnt ring true at all! (not saying you are lying, but that you were told a load of bollox :D )

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

While we all probably agree Naeni is a bit of a nutter :D I thought the problem here was a lack of funds more than anything else?

Yeah funds and time.

What Elfie said basically, you have to be in a certain Postcode.

I thikn its sorted because thats guys taking 6 maybe 7, and if he pulls out I have a list of people in my inbox who I can contact. Then I'll have a nice managable number left (hopefully!) and theres no way I'm buying more anyway I'm not completely stupid! I almost bought one a few months ago when Hahns died but purely as a friend for Hurley as he was left alone, but Hurley seems to be quite content on his own anyway.

• Checks up......

What are the eligibility criteria?
    To be eligible, pet owners need to live within the defined catchment area of a PDSA PetAid hospital or PetAid practice and must be receiving financial help with their housing costs through either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit. This means that one in five UK households is eligible for help by PDSA.

Fecking Hell!! :eek:

• re the PDSA thing....

A huge percentage of vets will do PDSA treatments, not just the actual PDSA hospitals. My vet isn't on the list on the PDSA website but when I asked, they said that if I filled out a PDSA form, they could treat Pixie for free... you still need to be on council tax benefit (which anyone on any other benefit or has a low income is normally on)

• Quote from Naeni

They found me I didn't find them. And it was either live with me or die neglected at the bottom of someones garden so I'm sure getting them in the first place was not a wrong choice.

I could look after them at the time but now situations have chnaged, so I'd advise you not to judge so quickly thankyou.

You cant advise me to do anything.

You were here asking peoples advice on your animals so I gave my opinion which I'll stick to. The last bit of advice I gave to you was about getting a Double Decker Bus at 17.....

• Quote from MrAHC

You were here asking peoples advice on your animals so I gave my opinion which I'll stick to. The last bit of advice I gave to you was about getting a Double Decker Bus at 17.....

I don't want a double decker bus I was just wanting to know about people who had lived in them!

• Quote from MrAHC

She didn't ask advice on her piggies, she asked if anyone could home them.

And you my think it is your right to judge anyone you like in any way you like but i am about to judge you! How can you be so mean and heartless to talk to a girl half your age in such low and out of order way. If you want to home one of Neani's piggies then post away but if you are only here to slag off her choice to help animals that needed re-homing that would of proberly died much earlier without her help, (and that she has chosen to re-home once it has got to much for her,) then i really think you better get off your pedestal and judge yourself a little. i think it is shocking behaver.:mad:

RoRo

• Quote from rohan wood

If you want to home one of Neani's piggies then post away

Sorry but its people opionions on the situation and its good to hear from different people, are you looking to rehome one then? :reddevil:

• Quote from rohan wood

She didn't ask advice on her piggies, she asked if anyone could home them.

And you my think it is your right to judge anyone you like in any way you like but i am about to judge you! How can you be so mean and heartless to talk to a girl half your age in such low and out of order way. If you want to home one of Neani's piggies then post away but if you are only here to slag off her choice to help animals that needed re-homing that would of proberly died much earlier without her help, (and that she has chosen to re-home once it has got to much for her,) then i really think you better get off your pedestal and judge yourself a little. i think it is shocking behaver.:mad:

RoRo

:clap:

• I think it's very brave to publicly admit that you are not able to cope and to ask for help. It's a very hard thing to do.

It's a piece of piss to judge.

• I think she is very brave to admit that she has done wrong, like everyone else

but....
    In the past she has said that she has had troubles getting the basics for her animals, ie hay. And yet she kept adding to her pets, i understand wanting to help, but as she is well aware, im sure, guinea pigs will die without hay. I think she did very wrong by getting more guines pigs.

nanie did you once breed your guinea pigs? im sure there are baby pig pics somewhere on here....

• Aye well she's sorted herself out now hasn't she so bangin on at her is gonna do nothin constructive for anyone. She'll take a lesson from this no doubt, would be shite to dilute it with making her think she can do no right.

• I was getting hay at the time it was just being very expensive, they get it now but just barely enough. I didn't "continue to keep adding" I just bought one, and it was okay at the time.

I did breed about this time time year but it was ok then though I admit shortly after I had bred her I did regret that it wasn't such a good idea, especially as there are other homeless I could have took in instead. But then if guinea pigs weren't bred, in 7 or so years most of them would be extinct..though its a crap justification really. But even then I still had all the resources etc so it wasn't a problem with the additionals, it was actually a great help as I had two lone males at the time who didn't like each other, so when Helga bore two sons and a daughter, the daughter lived in the girl tribe and each son was assigned to a male piggy, so the two who were lone before (and so not leading a full life) were happy with new friends. Since hans died and Hurley was left on his own, the only reason I would buy another guinea pig would be to accompany Hurley, but he seems to be doing ok without a friend, as is Steve (though Steve I have tried with others he does actually hate other piggys, but he is my room to compensate for that)

if any of the above made sense :eek:

• Naeni, it is a brave decision to recognise that you made a mistake. Getting rid of your pets is a very hard thing to do. Having see the barn and set up of your piggies, I don't think there is much else you could have done to give them a better home and they are certainly loved.
    Situatuions change in life, when Naeni was saving piggies from all sorts of situations, she had the time and resources to help them, and did that to a standard I have never seen before. I have see rescue centres that don't have as much space and care as Naenis piggies have had.
    I take my hat off to you for devoting so much of your time to your animals, and also to the maturity you have shown to admit that you can no longer do that and that your piggies welfare must come first. x

• Thankyou weecab :)

Well a woman came today and she took six of my piggies.. I didn't realise how much I'd miss them til she was due to come and I gave them all a last little cuddle! Got all emotional! But she seemd very nice, we were talking about all their little squeaks and grunts, and she's going to end me pictures of the HUGE outdoor pen they're gonna be in :)

i have decided to rehome all of the others too, as the recent vet dillema reminded me that I really can't afford them, I can sort one out, but if more than one had a problem theyd be a bit screwed.

I won't be entirely piggyless I am going to keep Steve as he's easier to look after he's in my barn he can get better care as I can notice behavior patterns/noises etc things like that, and as hes on vetbed all I will need to buy is hay and food every now and again, leaving me a lot more spare for vets if he has a problem. Also I'm goign to be not at home as much and one is a lot easier for someone to look after for me. And I'm worried about flystrike if I keep any of my fluffies as injust one week I'm away say at a gatherign or something that could all happen, and my mum just feeds and waters them, doesn't check them over or anything.

but the piggies I have currently are the ones I have formed most a bond with, so its going to be even harder to let go to these, including Gordon-my first piggy!

So I currently have 7 piggies, I think I will wait til they're 100% all sorted witht his fungal then they'll be easier to rehome. The woman I got Sephy off said if I ever can't take care of him anymore she'll have him back, shes got a load too so I may ask her about that, and maybe if she'll take Gordon too, I think he'd get on well in a large group.

but I'll sort this fungal out first. My barn now has a pen with Hurley, a pen with Gordon and Sephy, and a three tier hutch with Aeris Moogle and Trixie.

• Oops!

I got an email saying "my daughter and I were sitting there and she said "mum..there's seven" I'd accidently gave her an extra one, but shes happy with it! hehehe!

I got some photos already, here's one, they look happieeee! :D :D

• How many are you keeping Naeni? It is incredibly brave letting all of them go like that, good on you!
    I'm sure you know this already, but i think i might have read that you're keeping one... steve? Please keep two (sorry if you are any and i'm just saying what you know!)... One guinea pig will not be a happy animal and quite often they die from loneliness anyway. were you going to keep two anyway?

:o :o
    Love,
    Sunny
    xxx

• I am fully aware guinea pigs should not be kept alone, I'm usually found lecturing people about it!

When I got Steve he was in the rescue part of Pets at Home, and they said he had been fighting with whoever he was and had some battle wounds, and he must not be put with any other guinea pigs, as he doesn't like them.

"what a load of bollocks" I thought, and took him home.

He attacked all my males!

So I kept him in the barn I live in, as I thought well at least he won't be alone.

A few months ago Hurley's friend Hahns died, so I was left with another lone male. Hurley had been on his own for a while too but when Helga had a baby boy he was put with Hurley and he turned outto be quite the nurturer!

Hurley seems to be missing the company so twice I have tried to pair him with Steve, every trick in the book from gradual introduction to washing them together and then shouting "just get on!!"

Last time Steve was with Hurley for 2 days and he was uncomfortable and constantly casuing trouble even though Hurley kept trying to snuggle up to him.

So I seporated him.

Now hes got cuts and bald bits where they've been irritating him...was it worth it? (he's been to vets btw)

Steve really does just seem like one of these pigs that are just content by themselves, hes always popcorning happy and has lots of toys and me prodding him all the time! :D

When I was doing the shows last year I met quite a few people who had lone males and had said themselves that like people, some guinea pigs just were angry solitude types! I didn't beilve them at the time and thoguht they were just too lazy/unskileld to try it properly, but now I get where they are coming from!

Hurley on the other hand does like compnay, and I did want to keep him but that will mean getting another, which is out of the question, so thats why he is for rehoming.

I hope that makes sense and you understand where I am coming from! :)

• Chalk it all down to experience Naeeni - we've all done well meaning things that have backfired on us!! Good on you for having the sense to recognise that things were getting out of hand and sorting them out :) (I'd have a house full of cats if I could but have to limit myself to three because of the expense of them!)

Peace, love and hugs,

Lily x x