Thousands to police smoking ban

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• yep government spies in pubs, what will coyote say to this, next they'll have kids reporting their parents

• Trickle trickle control...start with the social pariahs :rolleyes:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Just checked the world has not ended north of the border. The only obvious effect I've seen is packs of Jakey's fishing for fags in the stubout bins around town. I did feel rather sorry for the smokers hanging about outside pubs in January, pretty glad we had a mild winter I guess.

• when i was in ireland the year before last they had built sheds/bus shelters outside the pubs and in the beer gardens and they were rammed! if someone said they were goin to ban smokin in a pub in ireland 10 yrs ago i think everyone in there would of laughed at them but goes to show u never know whats round the corner innit!

• never well some jumped up pencil pushing do gooder pc correct person of some what laughable afforaty tell me wot to do.
    if i happen to be standing at a bus stop and the little old dear behind me asks politly if i wouldent mind puting out my fag yes not a problem as thats manners thats respect but for some pc jobs worth to try and tell me to put my fag out well hell get ignored or told that im not smokeing im on fire

• Quote from dode

Just checked the world has not ended north of the border.

:clap: Exactely. You know I'm beginning to get rather pissed off with those south of the border thinking that they are the first to experience this ban and how badly its going to affect them and how its going to change the world for the worst. For fuck sake!! Its already happened in Scotland and Ireland and we're fine. But then again, I forgot......those of us up in Scotland don't really count do we??? Jeasus....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Quote from uma

:clap: Exactely. You know I'm beginning to get rather pissed off with those south of the border thinking that they are the first to experience this ban and how badly its going to affect them and how its going to change the world for the worst. For fuck sake!! Its already happened in Scotland and Ireland and we're fine. But then again, I forgot......those of us up in Scotland don't really count do we??? Jeasus....

Do you guys have council staff enforcing the ban in bars too?

• Quote from Sthenno

Do you guys have council staff enforcing the ban in bars too?

I think Edinburgh and Glasgow employed some sort of wardens, the rest I think rely on customer complaints and normal environmental inspections to police the ban. There are enough non-smokers to make it work. I've not seen any evidence of it being ignored, some bend the rules on smoking shelters (50% open area) but thats about it.

• so are they being told to do this in their spare time then? like, given a shovel full of empowerment then let loose like a pack of wannabe die hard heros? and not getting paid for it? lol, if it's the same folks on pigeon feed watch then they're gonna get set alight.

• Quote from dode

I think Edinburgh and Glasgow employed some sort of wardens, the rest I think rely on customer complaints and normal environmental inspections to police the ban. There are enough non-smokers to make it work. I've not seen any evidence of it being ignored, some bend the rules on smoking shelters (50% open area) but thats about it.

So presumably that’s why Scotland hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread, not because we’ve forgotten you all exist.

• Id like to see some jumped-up council prick tell me to stop smoking. The hospitals are gonna be fuckin rammed come July.

• Quote from dreadfil

Id like to see some jumped-up council prick tell me to stop smoking. The hospitals are gonna be fuckin rammed come July.

Council employees wont tell you to stop smoking, the landlord will ask you nicely, then ask you even more nicely if you fail to comply. If you choose to ignore him I'm pretty sure he'll then ask you to leave his premises.... and so on.

I don't expect them to resort to violence.

• Quote from dode

the landlord will ask you nicely, then ask you even more nicely if you fail to comply. If you choose to ignore him I'm pretty sure he'll then ask you to leave his premises.... and so on.

I don't expect them to resort to violence.

thats what doormen are for.;)

• comes down to to simple things
    ever thay wont anice peacefull sunflower or a rageing pissed of sunflower
    the only thing ive found that controlls my anger mangement problem is a fag i can go days with out if all is well im not adicted i just like a smoke yes i know wot damege its doing and yes i know im less helthy since starting but for pets sake please leave me and use to are own free will to know that some dont like fag smoke and there are and arnt places to light up

• It will probably be left to the local authorities to decide how they enforce it; which means in Nottingham the smaller independent bars and pubs will be hounded andn the vertical drinking establishments packed with 14 year olds let off.

If this sounds just a tad cynical, they do have form. The local constabulary (winners of the coveted "Worst Police Force in Britain" title 2 years running) decided to launch a clampdown on underage drinking in the city. A 17 year old who passed for 25 was sent into several pubs and bars near the city centre, few of which have much of a clientele under 30, one being the local arts cinema. When served, the police swooped, and the bars were then closed for between 2 and 6 weeks. There is no evidence that the big chain bars in the centre were approached, perhaps because they could afford more upmarket lawyers.

This same evening there was a stabbing elsewhere in the city centre, and not a copper to be found.

• Quote from mithra

If this sounds just a tad cynical, they do have form. The local constabulary (winners of the coveted "Worst Police Force in Britain" title 2 years running) decided to launch a clampdown on underage drinking in the city. A 17 year old who passed for 25 was sent into several pubs and bars near the city centre, few of which have much of a clientele under 30, one being the local arts cinema. When served, the police swooped, and the bars were then closed for between 2 and 6 weeks. There is no evidence that the big chain bars in the centre were approached, perhaps because they could afford more upmarket lawyers.

yeah I had a friend who was employed to do that round london at 15 ... he couldn't pass for 18 though really. seemed a waste of time and made him v unpopular!!

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• I'm an outlaw. I'm Josey Wales!

Hell, I always step outside or aside to smoke when i'm around people anyway, as I respect their choices... As they should respect mine.

• I live in essex were people regulary walk out of pubs with a glass or two
    sticking out of there heads!
    It will be a competition to see how many smoking inspectors get glassed!
    The landlords don't really have any say in what goes on in these pubs!So they won't be bothered!
    The local wetherbags applied for a smoking shelter it already is no smoking!People congregate outside and block the pavement in front of the market stalls so there has been loads of complaints!
    The council said no!
    The stall holders involved have seen profits halve since smokers have to go outside! Ludicrious!