Iconic/famous/world changing photographs

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Pretty simple - post yours :) Try and include the story behind it if you can, so we can get a sense of the occasion and all that bollocks.

In 1994, Kevin Carter won the Pulitzer prize for a photo showing a vulture stalking an infant girl in the Sudan. He was told that journalists should not come in contact with the people there, as he may contract a disease. He then waited 20 minutes to get a good shot of the vulture spreading it's wings, and he left the girl there, about 1 kilometer from the UN Camp.

This is the famous photo taken by Eddie Adams in 1968, in Vietnam. It also won a Pulitzer Prize. it shows the Chief of Police executing a Vietcong prisoner during the Tet Offensive. Adams had this to say :)

The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera. Still photographs are the most powerful weapon in the world. People believe them; but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths. What the photograph didn't say was, 'What would you do if you were the general at that time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew away one, two or three American people?'

I don't think I need to say much here :(

John Filo's Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph of Mary Ann Vecchio, a fourteen-year-old runaway, kneeling over the dead or dying body of Jeffrey Miller, shot in the mouth by an unknown Ohio National Guardsman.

The Kent State shootings, also known as the May 4 massacre or Kent State massacre, occurred at Kent State University in the city of Kent, Ohio, and involved the shooting of students by members of the Ohio National Guard on Monday, May 4, 1970. Four students were killed and nine others wounded.

The students were protesting the American invasion of Cambodia which President Richard Nixon launched on April 25, and announced in a television address five days later.

The Clash. The best rock photo ever.

Beat that :harhar:

• No offense but I think that this thread should come with a warning...theres some things that I'd just rather not see....:rolleyes: :mad: :(

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

In 1994, Kevin Carter won the Pulitzer prize for a photo showing a vulture stalking an infant girl in the Sudan. He was told that journalists should not come in contact with the people there, as he may contract a disease. He then waited 20 minutes to get a good shot of the vulture spreading it's wings, and he left the girl there, about 1 kilometer from the UN Camp.

:eek:

Sorry but ...

• This photo, of one of the pro-democracy protestors in Tianamen Square on 5th June 1989 sticks with me, partly because I admired what the protestors were trying to do, it shows how one person can have a big impact (this man was able to hold up a column of tanks by standing in front of them), but also because I felt a very personal link.

My grandmother was in China at the time, working as an English teacher. We were very worried for her safety, because it was being reported on the radio and TV that forighners were in danger, in fact, this was only in Beijing, and Gran was living and working in a different city, Chengdu. We had visited her the previous year and spent some time in Beijing, and we visited Tianamen Square. I remember watching the TV news in tears - when the first people were killed - saying "I've been there - I stood exactly where that body is now"

• That photo stands out for me too Annie.
    I went to Tianamen Square in 2000 and spoke to a man who participated in the protests. It sounded horrific. He also said that if he was caught talking about it he would get arrested.

• Quote from Dark Scout

:eek:

Sorry but ...

I think he killed himself a year or two after. Hang on, Wikipedia checking...

Yep, he commited suicide.

Um, my contribution to the thread...I don't think it's a particularly famous photo, but this gives me an odd feeling every time I see it.

• that wikipedia entry about kevin carter almost made me cry :(

Here is the world's first photograph :D Taken in FRANCE in 1826.
    It's of some farm buildings and the sky :insane: And it took eight hours :eek:

we reenact Noah's ancient drama, but in reverse, like a film running backwards, the animals exiting

• Quote from sunflower

see proof that neil armstrong wasent the first man on the moon the person taken this photo was !!!!!!!!

how do you know its a pic of neil armstrong? might be buzz aldrin. plus it might have been taken from an external camera on the landing pod

• Quote from Perthite

how do you know its a pic of neil armstrong? might be buzz aldrin. plus it might have been taken from an external camera on the landing pod

or it may have been the man on the moon sneeking on bord to still there food !!!!!!!!!

• some spinechilling pics!

'battle of the beanfield'

'the ramones'

cant think of any more off the top of my head..........lack of sleep

• This photo was taken of an american soldier attempting to save the life
    of a young iraq girl. He wanted her to go to american surgeons and not an iraq hospital. she didn't make it.

The worrying factor is there was some legal issues over this photos
    unauthorised use for a democratic party flier.

The soldier is trying to save the life of a dying girl, not winning votes for a government or indeed a war.

A life is a life and this turned out to be an innocent girl losing hers.

I feel sad now.

• Sad that the compassion of the solider should be exploited. But if there was a picture of him leaving her to die you can be pretty sure that would also be exploited for the opposite purpose.

• Fight the good fight NEWBURY BYPASS PROTEST

The soft wind lifts the rain-mist, flurries it, and spends
    Itself in mournful sighs, drifting from field to field

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"A name is written on a polished rock. A broken heart that the world forgot." Help Stamp Out Child Abuse

• this one always stays with me. it's a vietnamese buddhist monk who set fire to himself on a busy street corner in saigon in 1963. he made the ultimate sacrifice to protest about the oppression of the buddhist faith by the mainly catholic government of the time. i think many people recognise it as being on the cover of a 'rage against the machine' album but don't really know where it's from.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• The release of the man.

Following his release from prison in 1990, his switch to a policy of reconciliation and negotiation helped lead the transition to multi-racial democracy in South Africa. Since the end of apartheid, he has been widely praised, even among white South Africans and former opponents.
    Mandela has received over a hundred awards over four decades, most notably the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993. He is currently a celebrated elder statesman who continues to voice his opinion on topical issues. In South Africa he is often known as Madiba, an honorary title adopted by elders of Mandela's clan. The title has come to be synonymous with Nelson Mandela.

Gandhi.............one man leads a nation and ends an oppression. With the start being the burning of a single document the world began to change.

As a British-educated lawyer, Gandhi first employed his ideas of peaceful civil disobedience in the Indian community's struggle for civil rights in South Africa. Upon his return to India, he organized poor farmers and labourers to protest against oppressive taxation and widespread discrimination. Assuming leadership of the Indian National Congress, Gandhi led nationwide campaigns for the alleviation of poverty, for the liberation of women, for brotherhood amongst differing religions and ethnicities, for an end to untouchability and caste discrimination, and for the economic self-sufficiency of the nation, but above all for Swaraj — the independence of India from foreign domination. Gandhi famously led Indians in the disobedience of the salt tax on the 400 kilometre (248 miles) Dandi Salt March in 1930, and in an open call for the British to Quit India in 1942. He was imprisoned for many years on numerous occasions in both South Africa and India.
    Throughout his life, Gandhi remained committed to non-violence and truth even in the most extreme situations. A student of Hindu philosophy, he lived simply, organizing an ashram that was self-sufficient in its needs. Making his own clothes — the traditional Indian dhoti and shawl woven with a charkha, he lived on a simple vegetarian diet. He used rigorous fasts, for long periods, for both self-purification and protest. Gandhi's life and teachings inspired Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Steve Biko and Aung San Suu Kyi and through them the American civil rights movement and the freedom struggles in South Africa and Myanmar respectively.

The Gettysburg Address is the most famous speech of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln and one of the most quoted speeches in United States history.[1] It was delivered at the dedication of the Soldiers' National Cemetery in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, on November 19, 1863, during the American Civil War, four and a half months after the Union armies defeated the Confederates at the decisive Battle of Gettysburg.
    Lincoln's carefully crafted address, secondary to other presentations that day, came to be regarded as one of the greatest speeches in American history. In 269 words delivered in just over two minutes, Lincoln invoked the principles of human equality espoused by the Declaration of Independence and redefined the Civil War as a struggle not merely for the Union, but as "a new birth of freedom" that would bring true equality to all of its citizens, create a unified nation in which states' rights were no longer dominant, defined democracy in terms of government of the people, by the people, for the people, and defined republicanism in terms of freedom, equality and democracy.
    Beginning with the now-iconic phrase "Four score and seven years ago," Lincoln referred to the events of the American Revolution and described the ceremony at Gettysburg as an opportunity not only to dedicate the grounds of a cemetery, but also to consecrate the living in the struggle to ensure that "government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
    Despite the speech's prominent place in the history and popular culture of the United States, the exact wording of the speech is disputed. The five known manuscripts of the Gettysburg Address differ in a number of details and also differ from contemporary newspaper reprints of the speech.

Televised Female beach volly ball!!!