Mcdonalds

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• What is safe to eat there?? Have heard that some of the stuff they mark as vegetarian isn't, and includes animal fats! Is it true that the McFlurry's have animal fat in them?? Any one that knows, please enlighten me...

• Can't imagine why anyone would want to eat there!!

You can see the ingredients lists of everything here

The vegetarian society has even approved some of their food

:vomit:

• Nothing is safe to eat there, its all processed rainforest-depleting non-nutritional multinational garbage. Sorry.

• Quote from stacy

What is safe to eat there?? Have heard that some of the stuff they mark as vegetarian isn't, and includes animal fats! Is it true that the McFlurry's have animal fat in them?? Any one that knows, please enlighten me...

If you are a strict vegetarian then the answer is probably nothing cooked. Although they sometimes offer vegetarian options I wouldn't trust anything they serve not to have come into contact with meat. There are actually (IMHO) better reasons for not eating in McDonalds, crap food, bad labour record, terrible record on the environment, rats, crap and grochle dressing from snotty staff... I'm sure there are more.

I miight as well add KFC and Burger King to the list of places you really wouldn't want to eat in if you had ever spent any time crawling around in their kitchens or appliances. I've been inside worse places, but not where food was cooked.

• I have to take clients there for work so I go alot. The coffee is nice and the cake isnt bad but I not sure the cake is veggi. Basically ALL the chains of fast food are not exactly soul food but McD is no worse than any other. BTW at least up to ten years or so ago they dont cut down rainforests to breed cattle cause they slaughter and process their meat in Milton Keynes and the last time I went there it wasnt Rainforest Country. UK Mc is a franchise and doesnt import meat from South America. Having said that Im veggi so I dont eat it anyway.

If you really want to scare yourself look at the kitchens in Pizza Hut!! Hand mixed salad dressing and potato salad and no gloves. Need I say more?

• I don't eat any takeaway food from the big chains kfc ,bugger king and mcdonalds all there food is crap!and unsustainable!

• I dont recall her asking for a lecture on the "evils" of McDonalds :whistle::harhar: just info on whether anything they sell is veggie....

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

I dont recall her asking for a lecture on the "evils" of McDonalds :whistle::harhar: just info on whether anything they sell is veggie....

That’s what I was thinking. That’s happening a lot lately, agreeing with you. Quite frankly it’s starting to frighten me…
    :eek:

• Quote from Sthenno

That’s what I was thinking. That’s happening a lot lately, agreeing with you. Quite frankly it’s starting to frighten me…
    :eek:

:reddevil:

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

I dont recall her asking for a lecture on the "evils" of McDonalds :whistle::harhar: just info on whether anything they sell is veggie....

Here here! :thumbup:

As for McDonalds i eat there very rarley cos there better places that are just as cheap but if it is the only option i go with fries or a salad:)

• I would never eat there - for the reasons mentioned above and more - I think their veggie burgers have a vegetarian society stamp (or did a few years ago when I was last in one) ... but there is a pretty high likelihood that ANY 'veggie' food cooked in their has been in contact with meat.

• I doubt the chances of a veggie burger coming into contact with meat at McDonald’s is any higher than at any other restaurant.

• To some people they are a crap company (including me) BUT some people like it there, for vegetarian a while ago there was a big thing about the chips being cooked with beef seasoning but thats all cleared up I think and im pretty sure its ok to eat, i didnt know the veg society has approved their burgers, i wonder why!!!!

• Quote from Sthenno

I doubt the chances of a veggie burger coming into contact with meat at McDonald’s is any higher than at any other restaurant.

Any other restaurant that serves a mix of meat an veg. dishes surely?

Damn that thread about summoning demons is causing all sorts of trouble, I for one am not going there

KILLL THE HIPPPIEZZZ!!!! EAT THE HIPPPIEEZZZ!!!

Anyone have a copy of Exorcism for dummies?

• if they do veggie stuff then they will have a special chopping board and fryer for it so it shouldn't theoretically have come into contact with any meat...but i wouldn't risk it.

• I once went to buy a banana thickshake to be told by the young guy serving me that they had 16 dessertspoons of sugar in the regualr size and were thickened with chicken fat...I think he was a spy myself...wasn't doing much for the MacD name!!! Don't know where they are with their fat/sugar contents now and this was a good few years ago...when I never put weight on however much fat I ate!!!
    Imx

• The chicken fat in milkshakes thing is, like the majority of the things said about McDonald’s, an urban legend. Ditto to the rainforest-depleting claims.

• I asked my neighbours kid and he said that most of the veggie stuff arrives pre-prepared, they either heat it up in a microwave or fry it up in a separate fryer. They keep everything separate so that no veggie food comes into contact with meat.

• Quote from Sthenno

The chicken fat in milkshakes thing is, like the majority of the things said about McDonald’s, an urban legend. Ditto to the rainforest-depleting claims.

Ah so you believed the jury in the McLibel case as well and not the fact that McDonalds were always going to win that, of course theyre not going to admit that theyve fucked the rainforests, and now no-one can afford to argue with them either.

• Quote from Sthenno

The chicken fat in milkshakes thing is, like the majority of the things said about McDonald’s, an urban legend. Ditto to the rainforest-depleting claims.

Then you must have had April's Greenpeace action completely pass you by ... after it was discovered that McDonalds were using soya grown in illegally deforested areas of the Amazon to feed their chickens.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/M…/Live/FullReport/7556.pdf

:rolleyes:

• Sigh....

Of course its very easy to criticise McDonalds.....but the modern international economy (including hi tech from the far east and cheap cars etc) is firmly rooted in shagging over the environment and the third world. Tis all a symbiotic relationship that provides the overall economy we all enjoy the fruits of.

McDonalds' is particularly visible but it is by no means the only such exploiter - so its particularly hypocritical to slate them when travelling around in your Exxon/BP/etc fueled car/van, listening to your china-import MP3 or eating your flown in veg.

Yes to a certain extent we are hostage to circumstance of living within the reach of an industrialised state....yet to draw happily on its fruits whilst slagging off others, all of which are part of the same system that would not exist without the env/third-world getting shagged over, is just self-imposed head-in-sand.

Right.

I wonder if anything at McD's is veggie :whistle::harhar:

• Quote from dreadfil

Ah so you believed the jury in the McLibel case as well and not the fact that McDonalds were always going to win that, of course theyre not going to admit that theyve fucked the rainforests, and now no-one can afford to argue with them either.

The rainforest depletion aspect of the case was just about the only thing the court decided was libel. And yes, I have to say I do agree with the jury (not sure what you mean by ‘believed’?) – the evidence they were presented with was very poor and mostly based on logic along the lines of: “This meat comes from Costa Rica. There are rainforests in Costa Rica. This meat comes from rainforests!!!!!”
    This didn’t stop the jury fully acknowledging that working conditions were poor and advertising exploitative of children, so I’d hardly say they were biased towards McDonalds.

• Quote from Dark Scout

Then you must have had April's Greenpeace action completely pass you by ... after it was discovered that McDonalds were using soya grown in illegally deforested areas of the Amazon to feed their chickens.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/M…/Live/FullReport/7556.pdf

:rolleyes:

I couldn’t get that link to work so I searched and found the ‘McAmazon’ info on the Greenpeace site. You’re right, I wasn’t aware of this – I was referring to the deforestation claims put forward in the McLibel trial. But I think this is a perfect example of how McDonald’s is demonised because it’s an easy target – it says in that very article that the aforementioned chickens are made into products for “many other products found in fast food outlets and supermarkets”. And yet the page is headed ‘McAmazon’. It also says McDonalds have promised to stop using these chickens. So where are the accolades for such a decision? Where are the campaigns against the other companies which are still using them?

• Quote from Sthenno

I couldn’t get that link to work so I searched and found the ‘McAmazon’ info on the Greenpeace site. You’re right, I wasn’t aware of this – I was referring to the deforestation claims put forward in the McLibel trial. But I think this is a perfect example of how McDonald’s is demonised because it’s an easy target – it says in that very article that the aforementioned chickens are made into products for “many other products found in fast food outlets and supermarkets”. And yet the page is headed ‘McAmazon’. It also says McDonalds have promised to stop using these chickens. So where are the accolades for such a decision? Where are the campaigns against the other companies which are still using them?

For a start, we stopped chaining ourselves to their 'restaurants' .... :whistle:

• Quote from Dark Scout

For a start, we stopped chaining ourselves to their 'restaurants' .... :whistle:

Sorry?

• Quote from Sthenno

Because they keep lying about being involved with the deforestation of land, and every time they are found out they just say sorry and try to pretend theyre really environmentally aware now. Yeah all the other companies are probably equally as bad, but then theyre not the biggest fast-food chain on the planet.