change in law

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from crap muppet

I can't find the link but basically a recent court case clarified the letter of the law. Before then it was just a grey area but they are really tightening up on it now.

If your motorhome is over 3.5 tonnes MAM but does not exceed 7.5 tonnes you will need to hold a driving licence that includes category C1 entitlement. If you passed your car test before 1.1.97 you will have C1 on your licence. If your licence does not include category C1 you may not drive a motorhome that exceeds 3.5 tonnes.

Found this on a goverment website and it is pretty clear cut: Time to get that C1 for me methinks!

I thought that law was in since they brought the new licencing system in and a new holder couldn't drive anything larger than 3.5 full stop...
    I got my full big truck licence, being an oldy n all that not that I have any use for my 7.5 ton limit now:cry: Imx

• Quote from lilmisslostit

I thought that law was in since they brought the new licencing system in and a new holder couldn't drive anything larger than 3.5 full stop...

yeah but the grey area came from alot of living vehicles although plated over 3.5 tonnes being registered as motor homes.. which anyone could drive on a car license... they are now changing this so that you HAVE to have the correct license for the plate!

• Quote from stardust

i don't have C1 entitlement, i don't have £800 and i'm not convinced my bus is entirely under 3.5 tonne.

Does it not tell you the weight on the log book?

Also, without wanting to scare you, check out the width ... I know we measured it with the mirrors when we were trying to get under that bridge in Corfe, but this is from the link that Andy posted:

The size of the motorhome
    The maximum size of a motorhome allowed in Great Britain is 12m in length and 2.55m in width.

This is 8.36 feet but doesn't include the mirrors.

• Quote from stardust

it just seems like an underhanded way of slimming down the traveller population.

Are you surprised? Remember 1994 Criminal Justice Act?

• Beddy J2's made pre 1965 were 7'6" wide, post '65 models were 8' wide. No idea on the weight, they were built on 2 ton truck chassis, but thats an awful lot of bus to come in at 3.5ton ...

I've been tripping from sipping the dripping dirty water tap,
    i've been thinking i'm drinking too many drinks all by myself.
    I've been poking a voodoo doll that you do not know I made, for you, of you.

• Quote from wiggy

This might be a stupid question but can you get the license thing by becoming a bus driver for a few months?

sounds like a plan, most of them train you

• Quote from wiggy

This might be a stupid question but can you get the license thing by becoming a bus driver for a few months?

Yup. Thats how my mate Mojo got his. You normally have to keep working for them for 6 months post pass though otherwise they ask for the money back that it cost them to train you.

• the bus companies normally require a five year commitment if the're gonna train you.

i know they dont count mirrors but what about indicators? i'm 8 and a half foot wide with indicators and 8 foot with out. (each indicator is 3 inches)

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• if you do that you have to pay back the cost of the training, which can be thousands!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from stardust

i know they dont count mirrors but what about indicators? i'm 8 and a half foot wide with indicators and 8 foot with out. (each indicator is 3 inches)

According to the Gov site you don't include 'lamps' so your official width is 8ft
    :D

• excellent!!

• hey there the 3.5 ton thing has been in place since '97 (i know cos i missed it by a couple of months same as stardust) and its never been a grey area. you cant drive ANYTHING over 3.5 ton with my crappy licence its just that lots of people thought you could. HOWEVER, stardust should check out re-registering her vehicle as a 'special project vehicle' which is explained in a DVLA link on how to drive big vehicles on a small license legally. (it was also a link off that government page about campervans) one of those categories is "playbus" and im sure she will find tht it suits her situation perfectly as you have to be able to prove it to the odd nosey plod who will have a good look round but if yr travelling with magical youth workshops then no probs lxxx hope that calms yr fears a bit ton of people i know have reregisteres their buses as circus changingrooms and the like but you have to be prepared to back it up and know the law a bit xxx