Newly Non-Smokers Support Thread...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from frais

im getting the four month itch i think, now and again i really want one, but then i think "don't be daft" and all is ok again

edit: actually its nearly five months now!

Go You:thumbup:

& Hold on to that 'Dont be daft' thought. Smoking is a dieing habit.

• Quote from shibari.surfer

Go You:thumbup:

& Hold on to that 'Dont be daft' thought. Smoking is a dieing habit.

yeah i know, thank you!! i do absolutely hate the smell of it now too, except the smell of more herby type stuff, that always smells nice

• Quote from frais

im getting the four month itch i think, now and again i really want one, but then i think "don't be daft" and all is ok again

edit: actually its nearly five months now!

Arrgghh. I had a nearly three month itch.

Not for a ciggie, I still don't give a flying f*** for ciggies at any time, I can sit in a pub surrounded by ciggies and not want one, BUT on Friday I was at a house party, nutted of course and spliffs were a plenty. I kept strong up to a point until about three in the morning and a spliff came my way. I puffed on it three times. I had to, my nicotine/cannabis memory needed to know. I had the three puffs, it reaffirmed what my real head knew. I did not need or like it. I carried on for the rest of the night without and I was still having the best time of my life, no joints or ciggies. I rock without them. I feel so god damn attractive now I am single, confident and a non smoker. I fucking ROCK.

• well done you!! I still ocassionally smoke weed, but i mix it with herbal tobacco. I don't know if that makes me still a 'smoker' but for me, in the general sense it doesn't. I can sit in a room with people smoking spliffs all night and it doesn't bother me at all, although now and again it's nice to join in as you would socially with alcohol if that makes sense?

• I guess that I have reached a point in my life, I'm 37 now and passed it, well not passed it as such, but I can do without the blow now. For me, smoking is a relic of my younger days. I still party, with all the other additives of course but I have had to sacrifice smoking for the sake of my health. I still cane it with other things but at the same time I feel that smoking no longer does it for me or the people around me. The drugs I do now have to be worthwhile, nicotine and THC have become boring. The three puffs that I had on Friday really did fuck all for me, give me highs anyday.:thumbup:

• 6 months today since i voluntarily inhaled nicotine!!

it feels so good!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• yay, well done you!!!

it feels so good doesnt it??

i'm really noticing it when shouting the dog. i used to struggle to shout without choking. now they can hear me on the other side of the valley!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• ha ha brilliant!! yeah my skin is so much clearer too and my teeth are lovely and white and my car smells lush, although there are still times when i think, "yeah a fag would actually be quite nice right now" I know I'd never ever have another one again! The benefits of being a non smoker are far too great!! I think also the smug feeling that im not giving any of my money to the tobacco companies is pretty damn good too ;)

• as a non smoker all i can offer is this:
    if any of you are thinking of/ finding it hard to quit, remember this:
    money not spent on cigs can be spent on beer/ weed
    good luck, keep at it!
    :D

• money not spent on cigs is money not going to the government!

• Quote from sky blue

I'm having trouble giving up :( :(

what is it that you are having trouble with? How far along with it are you? In the 'thinking of giving up' stage? or 'given up but temp slipped back' or...
    It's not always easy but do stick with it -the benefits of not smoking are huge:)

what is it that you are having trouble with? How far along with it are you? In the 'thinking of giving up' stage? or 'given up but temp slipped back' or...
    It's not always easy but do stick with it -the benefits of not smoking are huge:)

Well I have not had for like, say 4 weeks or something, and then I get cravings suddenly (especially around people who smoke) and think "oh just one won't hurt" but one turns into getting a pack and argh... vicious cycle.

Any advice for giving up? Or being able to?

• Quote from sky blue

Well I have not had for like, say 4 weeks or something, and then I get cravings suddenly (especially around people who smoke) and think "oh just one won't hurt" but one turns into getting a pack and argh... vicious cycle.

Any advice for giving up? Or being able to?

Stick with it? Dont give up on quitting:) If you do fall off the wagon every now and then, dont bother beating yourself up but get back up and try again. When you are tempted try to remind yourself of why you want to stop Health, money, not smelling like an old ash tray... whatever.
    Cravings pass and their intensity diminishes with time. Try to look at what triggers these cravings. Alcohol, breaks at work, finishing a meal... those all used to be triggers for me. They can be hard things to avoid but just realising that 'this is just a craving, brought on because I've spent years smoking after a meal -but now i dont and the craving will pass' kind of thing can help.
    Realise that having a fag does nothing to help the craving - it just puts it off for an hour or so. Then that craving is back, looking to be satisfied one more time -till the next one...

I smoked for 30+ years and tried quite a few times to stop. I dont think that the physical side of stopping smoking is very hard but psychologically it can be very difficult. You almost need to re educate yourself to see how horrible a thing it is to do to yourself.

And dont talk about 'giving up' it implies that youre going to be losing something where as actually you gain far more from stopping smoking:hippy:

Stick with it? Dont give up on quitting:) If you do fall off the wagon every now and then, dont bother beating yourself up but get back up and try again. When you are tempted try to remind yourself of why you want to stop Health, money, not smelling like an old ash tray... whatever.
    Cravings pass and their intensity diminishes with time. Try to look at what triggers these cravings. Alcohol, breaks at work, finishing a meal... those all used to be triggers for me. They can be hard things to avoid but just realising that 'this is just a craving, brought on because I've spent years smoking after a meal -but now i dont and the craving will pass' kind of thing can help.
    Realise that having a fag does nothing to help the craving - it just puts it off for an hour or so. Then that craving is back, looking to be satisfied one more time -till the next one...

I smoked for 30+ years and tried quite a few times to stop. I dont think that the physical side of stopping smoking is very hard but psychologically it can be very difficult. You almost need to re educate yourself to see how horrible a thing it is to do to yourself.

And dont talk about 'giving up' it implies that youre going to be losing something where as actually you gain far more from stopping smoking:hippy:

:D Thanks, makes sense to keep trying anyway. Besides, I'm pretty sure the cravings will happen less and less as time goes on!

• Quote from sky blue

:D Thanks, makes sense to keep trying anyway. Besides, I'm pretty sure the cravings will happen less and less as time goes on!

I'm a few days away from four months off the weed and tobacco. I've given up for longer in the past and started again but in the past the time that I always slipped was when I was having a drink with smoking friends in the pub. That'll all change a month from today when smoking will finally be banned in pubs and clubs. That's gonna be such a great help. I'm 38 years old (young) today and feel the best that I have done in years. I wouldn't feel like this if I was still puffing away. I'd be dreading the day they ban it in pubs. Now I'm embracing it. Bring it on.:happydanc

• Quote from Hydroxic Acid Boy

I'm a few days away from four months off the weed and tobacco. I've given up for longer in the past and started again but in the past the time that I always slipped was when I was having a drink with smoking friends in the pub. That'll all change a month from today when smoking will finally be banned in pubs and clubs. That's gonna be such a great help. I'm 38 years old (young) today and feel the best that I have done in years. I wouldn't feel like this if I was still puffing away. I'd be dreading the day they ban it in pubs. Now I'm embracing it. Bring it on.:happydanc

Yeah I'm looking forward to it because I won't be tempted at all if I don't have to sit there watching other people smoke around me too!!

:D

• i can wholeheartily endorse the allen carr 'easyway' book. somebody gave me a copy about six years ago and at the time i was a heavy smoker and heavy drinker. i wasn't even planning to quit smoking at the time but i read the book in one sitting, till 4am, and when i'd finished it i just knew i'd packed up for good! i even continued to drink heavily till i got that sorted as well, but didn't crave ciggies from the moment i stopped. and it's been six years now! these days i smoke the odd cigar on the rare occasions when i drink booze but i never touch ciggies, yippee.

so if you haven't read the allen carr book, give it a go, it really did change my life.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln

• Just passed my 5 months without tobbacco, had a few spliffs waved at me over the weekend but didn't accept them either, feeling good. :)

:wiggle:

• Quote from Dapablo

Just passed my 5 months without tobbacco, had a few spliffs waved at me over the weekend but didn't accept them either, feeling good. :)

:wiggle:

Well done Paul, I passed four months yesterday, feeling good, drinking far too much red wine though but I guess that aint all bad.:D I've even taken up gardening.;)

I've even taken up gardening.;)

Always good for the soul. :)

My mate has just started, I saw him at 3 days yesterday and did feel for the poor sod. Seeing him did make me feel some success though, not a bad thing though never complacent. Rock and Roll. :hippy:

Five months today and still going strong. Also, five months today since I've seen Magicmonkey, Atomik and Earthwhirler. I love name dropping.:whistle:

Do you see how those things are connected:reddevil:

Congrats on the stopping tho bro:thumbup: