Newly Non-Smokers Support Thread...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• OK This is me second attempt in as many weeks... had a bit of a stumble the other day and after careful discussion with wiggy, decided to put it off for a week and give it another go...

Now I chucked the reminents of me baccy in the burner last night along with the rizla packet...and this morning on way to school i sucked a 1mg nicotine lozenge that was rather disgusting but has worked a treat :D

I thought we could start this thread to give our fingers something to do other than wondering about smoking a cigarette...bit of a support thread for those about to or in process of becoming a non-smoker.

Offer our little tips of advice, encouragement and support.

I tried cold-turkey the other week and it worked, removing yourself from other smokers is an absolute necessity though I found cos otherwise it drives you nuts...

I think people should try and cut down the amount they are smoking to maybe one to four fags a day before they go cold turkey though cos doin nicotine rattle off of 20 a day is fuckin torture!

Something I found really helped with the craving of the desire to smoke something is to purse ya lips as if you was about to kiss like an old person :lol: and then suck in sharply through ya lips....hold the breath and exhale as normal...even better if ya go outside in the fresh air and do it :D

Anyways goodluck to all and KEEP UP THE GOODWORK!!!! :D

• On me 3rd lozenge of the day :D coughin up loads of lung butter :vomit:

Where's me fellow newly non smokers gone... could murder a rollie right now :o

• Remember that nicotine is to be found in potatoes, green peppers, aubergines and tomatoes so the more of them you eat the less nicotine mints you'll have to buy... good luck :)

• Ello ma :)

I gave up about a year and a half ago, and apart from a couple of weedies and a cigar or two at new year, am off em with no more cravings :)

Keep it up gal, I feel so much bettervfor it m'sefl :)

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Darkflame

Remember that nicotine is to be found in potatoes, green peppers, aubergines and tomatoes so the more of them you eat the less nicotine mints you'll have to buy... good luck :)

well i never knew that.. cheers matey :D got a couple of jacket spuds in the oven as it happens :D

I gave up about a year and a half ago, and apart from a couple of weedies and a cigar or two at new year, am off em with no more cravings :)

ahh thats encouraging...love hearing stories from people who are successfully bacci free.. I know laney has been for ages and also shibs :) cos if you guys can do it then so can I :D these fucking lozenges are rank so I won't have too much trouble givin them up I think :vomit:

The other week I got nearly to the end of day 3 but then stuff happened and I tripped up.. have already decided to ban smokers from me static :D then I won't be tempted .. and everytime I see someone smoking outside I try and go ":vomit: bleugh how disgusting" in my head instead of "want one!"
    I think if I can get through to the weekend without stumbling I might just have cracked it this time :D

• Okay lady........... your doing what's necessary. Don't succumb this time to the little demon, you are in charge of the situation don't forget that, alter your reality away from "what was" to "what is now".

I had my last nicotine stick on the last day of last year, haven't had one since. It's not just your own selfish wants that is up for stake here, those around you require your current activity or lack of. :)

I'm nibbling on pots of seeds, might put a little weight on but thats never a problem for me, reckon one should keep away from the fats.

Shan't wish you luck because in all honesty it has nothing to do with it, will offer you support. I'll come and read if necessary.

Care.

• 53 hours.

Okay, that aint all that long but it's the first time I tried cold turkey, apart from the tight jaw and clenched teeth I feel fine. I've been busying myself all day at work. I sat on the beach at lunchtime and smoking never even crossed my mind but then my mind is doing flips about other stuff anyway.

I just hope I manage to sleep earlier tonight. I remember three o'clock, then the alarm went off at 6:30, not a lot of sleep but I've been surprisingly spritely today.

I feel good.:D

• I've stickied this, if everyone keeps their quitting smoking posts to this thread it should be a great support for everyone giving up

• If anyone finds cold turkey to be too much....try:

20 a day for 20 days
    then 19 a day for 19 days
    then 18 a day for 18 days
    and so on until you get to 0 :)

{of course, if you smoke less than 20 a day I'm not suggesting you go UP! :p }

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Darkflame

so its 0 for 0 days? thats not very positive :harhar:

How did I KNOW some smart aleck *mumble mumble mumble* :harhar:

• OHHH all us non smokers are doing well, I am kinda lucky enough to have a bad chest infection so smoking at the moment is totally out of the window!
    Are you banning smoking in your house Ma? My old man smokes here and it stinks i must admit, i dont like the smells of smoke, or the taste, why did I start again!!!!

Anyways yay all us giver upperer smokers we rock :clap: :badger:

• Yep am banning smoking from the static hun :D Today I've been at work all day.. kept myself well buzy in the kitchen with cooking and cleaning so I didn't have to smell the smoke out in the market...so far today I've had ONE lozenge :D :D :D

Way to go Jez and Haze and Paul and Me :D

:woohoo:

• :thumbup::yourock:GO YOU LOT!!!!:happydanc

Its so worth doing. Stick with it and i promise you men and women will come and offer you sex and wealth beyond your wildest dreams:)

No, seriously your taking control of your lives and thats always going to be a good thing:)

• Right. If anybody cares about my attempt. It's now been 79 hours. Not the easiest time of my life I must admit. But I am resolute. I spent three hours in the pub surrounded by smokers this evening. My mouth got the best of me. If you don't smoke, you HAVE to talk more, I think that is a good thing. No NRT made it harsher, no safety zone. But I laughed a lot. In the face of.

• Quote from Hydroxic Acid Boy

Right. If anybody cares about my attempt.

I'll care, I'm fair at that sort of thing.
    Got people out there to share it as well ?

Keep it up people, don't give way.

• Quote from Dapablo

I'll care, I'm fair at that sort of thing.
    Got people out there to share it as well ?

Keep it up people, don't give way.

Cheers dude.

• Well done Jez and fair play for bein brave enough to go pub :eek: :D
    I'm now into day 3 and this was the day that caught me out last time :scared: not gonna have a lozenge today until I really need it - that worked really well yesterday.. its the evenings that gets me cos I have realised this is when I smoked the most :rolleyes: haven't had a joint for weeks but boy could i murder a big fat spliff right now :rolleyes:

erm I found something in boots which is quite interesting so gonna go find it and type it up here on this thread :D cos tis good to read when ya wondering what the fookin point is of givin up smokin... ;)

be right back x

• THE BENEFITS OF QUITTING*
    *source: royal college of physicians of london tobacco advisory group

• After 20 minutes: Blood Pressure and pulse return to normal
    • After 8 hours: The amount of nicotine and carbon monoxide in your blood is halved, and the amount of oxygen is back to normal.
    • After 24 hours: Carbon Monoxide is completely eliminated from your body, and your lungs begin to eliminate the mucus and other debris from smoking.
    • After 48 hours: Your body is free of nicotine; this also means your sense of taste and smell will be improving.
    • After 72 hours: Your breathing improves as the small tubes in your lungs relax; this will help boost your energy levels.
    • After 2 - 12 weeks: Your circulation improves.
    • After 3 - 9 months: Coughs and breathing problems improve as lung function increases.
    • After 1 year: The risk of you having a heart attack is halved.
    • After 10 years: The risk of you developing lunc cancer is halved.
    • After 15 years: The risk of you having a heart attack is the same as someone who has never smoked.
  • ive just read that list out to my hubby and his response was to light his rolly ......i could kill him his attempt lasted 3 days then he gave up

i gave up almost 20 years ago and it was the best thing i ever did
    also gave up the weed a few years ago

but i guess i was lucky cause it was while i was preggie with my emma whose 19 i went off fags
    then after i had her i lit up just to see and it knocked me sick

you can do this ma your a strong woman i have every faith in you
    just think how much better your going to feel and how proud charlie is going to be of his mum

if you could go out and buy your self something .......something just for you what would it be

• Quote from sensamelia

think how much better your gonna feel

Better yet, think of the money you can save...and spend in the summer on beer and barbyfood :D

• Quote from sensamelia

you can do this ma your a strong woman i have every faith in you
    just think how much better your going to feel and how proud charlie is going to be of his mum

if you could go out and buy your self something .......something just for you what would it be

thanks hun :) still not had a lozenge yet today :D erm.. if i could go and buy something just for me I think I'd buy something for me mammy too and take her and me to the new spa in Bath ;) am workin on it :D Its gonna take me about 8 weeks of not smoking to afford it ;)

• you're doing well!

My sister managed to go on holiday to Spain after a few months of not smoking. It made it easier for her to not smoke when she knew that it would take money from her holiday fund if she did.

• I've been at this non smoking, non NRT, non weed for ONE HUNDRED HOURS.

How awesome is that?

Spent three and a half hours in the pub after work tonight with smoking friends, and instead of puffing, I ranted like a funny bastard who was actually amusing. Fuck hiding behind cigarettes, where's the fun in that?:D

• GO YOU!!!!!!!!!! :D

Int it funny how the more time that passes the sharper ya mind gets ? :D I never realised just how much nicotine dulls the senses :eek: On Day 4 :woohoo: feelin fine :D Had 2 and a half lozenges yesterday.. half cos the last one made me feel proper :vomit: hey maybe I don't need one at all today.. who knows :D

Keep goin everyone - proper proud of us all :D

• Good going folks, keep that shit together now, it still matters what you are doing and there is no reason whatsoever to give in to the demons, they lie to you.

Reckon you should be starting to find your tongue is starting to work again, also the return of the sense of smell. This might mean you need to have a go at washing all those soft furnishings and maybe any coats or the such that you've worn regularly in the past.