Question for veggies ... Do you own any leather?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Quote from Stormypagan

Infact let's just all go naked hey!!! hehehe!!:D Fancy a naked forum meet :D

last time we did that there were some very unflatering pictures of me posted on the net......leaping starshaped off one of the stones at avebury, wearing nothing but vegetarian doc martins, if i remember correctly!!!

hehehehehe yeah!! lets do it again!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from stardust

last time we did that there were some very unflatering pictures of me posted on the net......leaping starshaped off one of the stones at avebury, wearing nothing but vegetarian doc martins, if i remember correctly!!!

I know. I still have to send you the bill for my therapist :harhar:

• why do you guys find it ok to have second hand leather but not new leather? surely that's just like buying last seasons clothing? you're still buying the stuff just a year out and from someone else?

• Quote from Perthite

why do you guys find it ok to have second hand leather but not new leather?

it's not particularily ok, but it's not funding the industry and it is environmentally sound to reuse products

surely that's just like buying last seasons clothing? you're still buying the stuff just a year out and from someone else?

ha ha ha :wiggle:

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• Quote from Perthite

why do you guys find it ok to have second hand leather but not new leather? surely that's just like buying last seasons clothing? you're still buying the stuff just a year out and from someone else?

because new leather is encouraging the industry to continue (think supply and demand). Second hand leather is making use of waste material rather than using the planet's valuable resources.

However I would draw the line at eating second hand meat .

• I was thinking...could wool be put in the same class as leather? Really the sheep are being bred for their meat and the wool is just annother exploitation

But i generally would rather wear wool than nasty man made materials

• Quote from Chegzy

I was thinking...could wool be put in the same class as leather? Really the sheep are being bred for their meat and the wool is just annother exploitation

But i generally would rather wear wool than nasty man made materials

Hmm, you've got me thinking on that one. About one third of British wool is from sheep (usually lambs) slaughtered for the meat industry. This is called skin-wool. Lambs' skin's also produces a very high quality leather.

There are then the sheep that have been selectively bred for just their wool and not meat. They are only sheared, which is harmless. Those that are selectively bred for wool, it is absolutely crucial to their survival that they are sheared. If they don't get sheared in early summer then they suffer from heatstroke.

However, wild sheep do not need shearing. Some breeds, such as the Soay sheep (my favourite breed!), loose their wool in a sort of 'moult'. It comes out of its own accord and shearing isn't usually needed. They are the oldest and most primitive breed of sheep in Britain and date back to the Bronze age

So I think it depends. As with most things, whether you can simply put wool in the same category of leather is not something that can be put down to a yes or no. Damn i'm rambling too much today :eek:... But umm... I think if you are simply buying a sheep skin from a shop in town, then you have to be sceptical of the ethics of it. If it is second hand or a hand-me-down, then as has been discussed about the leather already, there is pretty much no problem with it. If you have no problem with sheep being bred for wool and wool only, ignoring the fact they they are exploitated in some ways but not necessarily badly treated, then there seems not to be a problem. If you wear soay sheep wool or some other traditional, rare breed, i think that is great. Or, you could breed your own sheep and learn to spin wool!

hehehe, sorry, i went to town on thinking about wool. I really love sheep and i love wool so much, although i don't actually have any, but like collecting it when i go on country walks. I'd like to learn how to spin wool.

Love,
    Sunny
    xxx

• For ethical reasons wool isn't good for vegans!! and it does irritate my skin anyway, so have never really worn it as a child let alone an adult!!

BUT the only thing I have got is a jumper made from multi coloured knitting yarns, and is made from mainly man made, and a little bit of sheep. It was made by a good friend for me years ago, and I didn't have the heart to say I can't wear it as it has a little bit of recycled wool in it, and she spent ages making it for my birthday!! She used second hand knitting stuff from charity shops etc... and anything anyone gave her!! So this is a little better as you have said!! So in that respect I suppose that is the only bit of wool I have!! But I am not gunna beat myself up about that one jumper :) which is old, with holes, out of shape but has wonderful memories as it has been to many a festie etc.. with me.

I suppose I feel a little bit better about wearing it as wool doesn't result in the slaughter of animals, though of course there is always going to be a direct link to the meat industry as with any farm animal.

I know what a hypocrite!!!

• i've never worn wool even before being conscious of animal welfare. its too hard to wash and keep in shape! synthetics for me.

i have recently been reading a lot about veganism as i want to be more aware of what foods and other products use animal ingredients and want to minimise the amount of animal products i use. recently i found out that although sheep may not be killed for wool they still may suffer unless looked after properly. unfortunatly not all farmers have the animals happiness and welfare top of their lists. thankfully banned in england but still going on in austrailia is a most unpleasant practice called mulesing which involves cutting a piece of skin the size of a plate from the rear end. this is to prevent infection as due to being bred intensivly for wool when the females urinate it goes into folds of skin there.

more info here http://www.vnv.org.au/WhyBeVegan.htm and http://www.animal-lib.org.au/lists/mulesing/mules.shtml