Question for veggies ... Do you own any leather?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just curious?

I've got a pair of leather boots that I had before going veggie, probably got some belts and shoes too. It seems daft to just throw it out and waste it.

I'd be very unlikely to buy any now though, but it seems that there are a lot of veggies who would.

What about second hand leather?

• i used to own some vegetarian doc martins and they were cool, but eventually fell off my feet, as all boots do with me!

i have a lot of concerns for the environment aswell as animal rights. to buy a new pair of veggie boots would mean taking more natural products from the earth, using more energy to produce them etc.etc.

it's not easy to find second hand veggie shoes, so i decided that as long as i wasn't giving a penny of my money to the people who profited from the animals' death, then it would be acceptable for me to wear leather.

i really wanted a pair of new rock boots for ages. i refuse to give that much money to a company that profits from selling dead animals, but my conscience doesn't have too many issues with giving some poor student a wedge of cash coz she's so skint she's got to put her boots on ebay.

ideally i'd prefer to buy shoes/leather from charity shops only, but you dont find to many new rocks in charity shops!

this is just my opinion anyway. probably alot of veggies would be disgusted at having dead animal next to their skin, but i dont worry about it as long as my money isn't going to the people who kill the animals. second hand is always better for the enivirnment than buying new whatever you buy.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• ive got some second hand new rock boots which dont smell anymore of leather. and i brought myself some new rock shoes which smell nasty coz theys new, but they are so great and comfortable.

and i got them both for under the price of a brand new pair of new rocks... coz the ones i did buy new were in a sale... hehe.

and i have a russian soviet belt which is so smelly of leather, mum cant believe i have it.

but i will not give up my boots. they are my pride and joy. unless its summer and its hot then its no shoes

• I dont buy or wear leather, not wool or silk but I also believe there is no point throwing them away and filling up landfill sites :D

• i don't buy leather or other animal related materials. i have a pair of doc's that i bought years ago before i went veggie but thats it.

• I find this quite a weird issue. I've never particularly like leather so have never owned jackets/belts/purses etc but I have got a pair of leather boots. For years I bought non-leather boots but they'd always die quickly and were very uncomfortable, so I consiously chose to buy leather boots and they've lasted years with years left in them. So, I don't know. I don't like the idea of it but in this case practicality has over-ridden my principles.

I don't think there's any point in getting rid of stuff unless you feel uncomfortable wearing it.

• I have quite a lot of second hand / vintage leather clothes and an old 60's leather and fur patchwork poof.

I wouldn't buy new leather goods, but second hand I'm not that bothered about... it kinda freaks me out that it's dead skin, but ethically I see no problem recycling old goods.

Cxx

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• My boots are really the only leather i own, yes im a hypocrite...but its either that or im shoeless..i was given them for free. Im skint and on a low wage..so its not really viable for me to get new ones. When i do, im getting faux leather next time.

Ghost

• I really dunno where I stand on this one. Second hand leather isn't even an issue I don't think. But new leather? Hmmm. The problem is that most alternatives involve the petrochemical industry - which is hardly ideal. What I'd personally like to see is a company that allows cows to graze freely until they die of old age and then makes 'em into ethical leather goods!

• I'd urge people to not buy "new" leather... but the movement to respect animal life is far bigger than one individual issue...

If the products weren't there in the first place... we wouldn't have to double check all the ingredients in everything we consume / wear.

I often think that we (me included at times, sorry) pick on consumers / individuals... when really the issue is much larger..

OK, the odd person buying leather builds up in number... but it's the industry specifically that needs targetting in my humble opinion :o

I think the majority of people, even meateaters would, choose poducts that didnt hurt animals given a real broad choice.

We don't have that much of a broad accessable choice in todays market.

Cxxx

You know all that money we spend on the military every year? Instead, if we use this money to feed and clothe the poor of this world, which it would do many times over, then we can explore space, inner and outer, together, as one race.

• i re-read my previous post and realised it was mostly gabbling, so i thought i'd try again at saying what i meant a bit more clearly.

- i would never buy leather new from the shops, as my money is going to the people who profit from the animals dying.

- i have no moral issue atall with leather from charity shops as the only people benifiting are the charities themselves.

- second hand is generally better for the environment than buying new, whatever the product, so i would always chose second hand leather over brand new vegetarian shoes.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• I cant see that second hand leather is more user friendly than new leather so i'm unsure of where youre Q is going...

shoes/boots/sandals are a difficult issue... we cant be barefoot all the time and the synthetic options are so uncomfortable and unhealthy...

i'll post my view on this when i've thought it through...

• Quote from pabsy

I cant see that second hand leather is more user friendly than new leather so i'm unsure of where youre Q is going...

hmm, maybe whether it's "user friendly" isn't quite the issue

• Quote from stardust

- second hand is generally better for the environment than buying new, whatever the product, so i would always chose second hand leather over brand new vegetarian shoes.

xxx

second hand leather shoes are more confortable coz someone else ahs worn them in!!

hehe. sorry

• where i'm going with that one is that any new product uses energy to produce and takes resources from the environment. it then uses fuel to be distributed round the country, and is in general a far less environmentally friendly option than buying leather from a charity shop.

if your feelings are that you dont want to wear leather coz it's a dead animal, then new or second hand makes no odds. just dont wear it.

my feelings are i dont want to support the leather industry. i'll wear anything so long as i'm happy that my money's gone somewhere i consider ethical.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

• Quote from stardust

my feelings are i dont want to support the leather industry. i'll wear anything so long as i'm happy that my money's gone somewhere i consider ethical.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

ditto:hippy:

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

Cool. I've got a paper napkin I'll sell you for 5p. I'll donate the money to charity :harhar:

make it 10p and I'm in:insane:

• A friend who moved to Australia gave me her sheepskin coat (she wasnt going to need it over there) I love it loads but never thought of the animals killed to make it. I do still wear it although i shouldnt but it reminds me of her, i also have a favourite pair of leather boots that i bought ages ago, theyre worn out but theyre part of me now and i dont want to get rid of them.

• Quote from Chegzy

A friend who moved to Australia gave me her sheepskin coat (she wasnt going to need it over there) I love it loads but never thought of the animals killed to make it. I do still wear it although i shouldnt but it reminds me of her, i also have a favourite pair of leather boots that i bought ages ago, theyre worn out but theyre part of me now and i dont want to get rid of them.

i don't see any reason why you shouldn't wear it. you didn't give any money to the leather industry (so therefore did not support the killing of the animals financially) and if you hadn't taken it off her hands, it might have ended up in a landfil site. if you haven't actually bought the animal product yourself then it is better for you to wear it than for it to add to the tonnes and tonnes of landfil already trashing our countryside.

that's just my opinion anyway. i say enjoy wearing something that keeps you warm and reminds you of your friend without worrying about it.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

• I would however now only buy non leather goods from charity shops otherwise i think we are breeding into the fact it is okay to wear animal skin I can not get over the fact i have a dead carcass covering y body and can not find any excuse environmental or otherwise ....but i guess that is me :D

• Quote from stardust

i say enjoy wearing something that keeps you warm and reminds you of your friend without worrying about it.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

Aw thanks, i do like it but there was a time when i was thinking about burying it...the thought of it being an animal made me sick. But i ams till wearing it and tend to egnore the hypocrite comments. (which are only ever made by meat eaters)

• Quote from Flibbertigibbet

I would however now only buy non leather goods from charity shops otherwise i think we are breeding into the fact it is okay to wear animal skin I can not get over the fact i have a dead carcass covering y body and can not find any excuse environmental or otherwise ....but i guess that is me :D

I do try and shop in charity shops but theyre really bad round here, most of the clothes they sell are a bit...old for me. I dont tend on wearing pop socks and cardigans with false pearl buttons just yet.

• I hope vegans are allowed to answer this too

Personally I don't wear any leather or have any!! I have purple vegan docs (I have had them for years, and my first pair I walked the Ridgeway in and they still went on to last me years) and a whole host of other vegan footware so thats cool for me personally. I threw my leather out when I went vegan!!

At the end of the day it is up to the individual but I personally couldn't preach veganism, if I wore leather as I would feel a hypocrite!! But that is me!! I suppose I have less of an issue with "bought before I made this ethical decision not to eat meat" but I wouldn't personally and I wouldn't even buy second hand now I am a vegan.

What we have to remember that most leather products are by-products of the meat industry and therefore while meat is in demand there will be leather!! Yes, it can be argued that if an animal is going to be killed for meat then why not use all of it, so less wasteful. But even if the meat industry wasn't there (fat chance) I think leather would become like the fur industry, especially raised to provide for the need!! And also the leather industry is pretty unenvironmental too!! There are lots of issues to consider but personally I don't do leather.

• Quote from Doktor Atomik

What I'd personally like to see is a company that allows cows to graze freely until they die of old age and then makes 'em into ethical leather goods!

Actually there used to be a company that did, and I think they were based in London. I heard of them years ago but don't quote me :D Apparently they used animals that had died of natural causes.

I still don't think I could go there personally still as a) coz it would be still have been a living being b) well I might as well wear human skin too then c) and unless they said on the boot for all to see "This cow died of natural causes to make me these boots", so I didn't feel people judged me knowing I was vegan!! I used to get paranoid enough about my veggie doc martins hehehe!!

• Quote from Stormypagan

At the end of the day it is up to the individual but I personally couldn't preach veganism, if I wore leather as I would feel a hypocrite!! But that is me!! I suppose I have less of an issue with "bought before I made this ethical decision not to eat meat" but I wouldn't personally and I wouldn't even buy second hand now I am a vegan.

you see, i can get quite preachy about the environment, and i would feel very hypocritical to go on and on about that, then buy shoes (veggie or vegan ones) that are brand new and have taken things from the planet, when to buy second-hand would be using things twice and supporting various charities.

what put me off veggie and vegan shoes was a guy i met at faslane telling me the process involved in making them. i can't remember what he said, but i know it was along the lines that the production of the various parts of a veggie shoe is incrdeibly harmful to the planet, much more so than leather.

this guy (hussie - for those of you who have been to faslane and know who i'm talking about) was particularly clued up on all things regarding the environment, and although he was a very strict vegan, he felt it far more ethical to wear second hand leather than to buy new veggie shoes.

i don't think either of these view points is wrong, just different. i guess we've all got to do whatever works for us. i don't feel hypocritical for wearing leather, but if a person wanted to place a judgement on me for doing so, then that's their problem. i'm not to bothered about it to be honest.

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

• I have never much liked leather, but have had New Rocks and I have some paraboots (second hand, came from the surplus). I was never veggie for the animals though it has always been a concern. If that makes sense. But I just have never liked the smell of leather, the feel of it. I actually thought NRocks were something else, they didn't seem like leather but I'd usually have socks between me and them... I don't tend to buy leather shoes anymore and would love some veggie shoes but they're too expensive and when I buy manmade stuff it falls apart fast.

• At the end of the day there is very little in the way of manufacturing of anything, that won't leave a mark on the planet!! As far as I know veggie docs were partly made from recycled materials but don't quote me but I know some vegan shoes are defo from recycled stuff. But Yes I am sure there are many that aren't!! I suppose you have to make the choice between the planet or its inhabitance, not easy at all!! But I have to say I have to go down the road of the animals first, closely followd by the planet!!

Infact let's just all go naked hey!!! hehehe!!:D Fancy a naked forum meet :D