Is it possible to be vegan and live on snack food?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I know that sounds like a daft question ... but I nearly always eat on the move.

Petrol station sandwiches, canteens, sweets, pizza, curry ... you get the idea ... Even at home it's easier to get takeaways. As a veggie it's hard to do this anyway because of the limited choices of food available.

I've toyed with going vegan but how hard do you think it would be when I've got such a disorganised/undisciplined lifestyle?

• I found it virtually impossible. The difficulty of getting vegan food 'on the move' was one of the reasons I didn't stick with it. Crisps, dark chocolate bounty bars and chips was all I could eat. Of course, that was years ago, and I imagine things have changed since then. But it's bound to be more difficult for vegans than vegetarians. Why don't you try it for a week to test the water?

• It is not too difficult in Brighton so you could always move here or failing that dont eat pre packed sandwiches but go to a bakery they will make you a vegan butty, I too am not a very organised person but never go hungry :D

• Well already you've hit a blank with petrol station sarnies, how often do you see veggie ones without eggs or cheese? And pizza would be difficult.....but....you're in London so maybe it's not as bad as all that? Requesting food from takeaways without cheese or ghee (curries) or any other form of dairy might be easier where the culture is more diverse. I guess what Dok suggests is a good idea...but where will you get all your nutrients young man?!?! :eek:

• Quote from Flibbertigibbet

Pizza express will always make you a vegan pizza and as just mentioned many Indian restaurants serve vegan curry and perhaps Paul could buy some of these to prevent scurvy :p

LOL yeah, that's why I added the London thing - in Somerset most people haven't even heard of vegetarianism! Although our local kebab shop does do a really shit veggie burger......:vomit:

• If I were you I'd stick with vegetarianism for now. ;) If you don't eat all that healthily now, you could end up making yourself ill as a vegan.

• Well when at home you could eat vegan stuff so that you know you are somewhere towards it. You don't have to call yourself a vegan to still eat vegan and have some peace of mind!! Yes it is hard to be a vegan on the move to an extent but that's where making a packed lunch/dinner is cool!! you will always find something somewhere to eat, I have done it long enough and traveled about enuff. Yes, it can get a bit junky but doesn't have to be!!

Maybe buy a copy of the animal free shopper from the Vegan scoiety???

The market is getting better for vegans all the time!! Even some of the main supermarkets say what is vegan or not, eg: the co-op are groovy for this, and hey there are loads of them all over the country!! It doesn't have to be a petrol station, a Small detour and you will find a place to get some food. Flexibility is the key I suppose.

Good luck with your chosen path :0)

• Quote from Stormypagan

Well when at home you could eat vegan stuff so that you know you are somewhere towards it. You don't have to call yourself a vegan to still eat vegan and have some peace of mind!!

Excellent point. I think labels sometimes put us off doing what we can. For example, I doubt I'll be vegan anytime soon, but I'm trying to reduce the amount of dairy I eat and buy as much organic as possible. It's not ideal, but it's my little step in the right direction.

• London is huge. The east end is a strange part of London ... while the rest of London has become more choice conscious it's still very much "Jellied eels, pie 'n' mash and a good healthy (?) fry up" over these parts. If I ask for vegan in a lot of places they wouldn't even know what it meant. If you ask for a veggie burger the chances are it would be fried with the same oil as the bacon.

I'm under loads of stress at the mo ... but I do intend to have a go at reducing dairy over the next few weeks though and see how hard I find it.

• Quote from Paul

London is huge. The east end is a strange part of London ... while the rest of London has become more choice conscious it's still very much "Jellied eels, pie 'n' mash and a good healthy (?) fry up" over these parts. If I ask for vegan in a lot of places they wouldn't even know what it meant. If you ask for a veggie burger the chances are it would be fried with the same oil as the bacon.

I'm under loads of stress at the mo ... but I do intend to have a go at reducing dairy over the next few weeks though and see how hard I find it.

Visit the Asian shops, loads in East London :), thats where all the real food is.

• Quote from Paul

London is huge. The east end is a strange part of London ... while the rest of London has become more choice conscious it's still very much "Jellied eels, pie 'n' mash and a good healthy (?) fry up" over these parts. If I ask for vegan in a lot of places they wouldn't even know what it meant. If you ask for a veggie burger the chances are it would be fried with the same oil as the bacon.

You should try up in Cumbria then hehehe!! If you don't wear wellies, and ride a tractor, and herd at least 2 dozen farm animals down a country lane, then you may as well not exist No but seriously, being so rural as you can imagine there is a huge farming community around here, and mainly animal farming!! We have tractors, and animal trailers go by the house all day. Still you gotta be strong and stick to your ethics :) when then look at you as if you are from another planet, gulp, and say.... you are a vegan???

When the time is right you will suss it - good luck :0)

• why not get yourself a lunchbox? (maybe one with a cartoon character on it would really brighten up your day!!)

then, in the evening you could fill it up with yummy vegan foods - huge sandwiches with lots of salads etc, pieces of fruit, few raw sliced veg, crisps, soya yoghurt etc.

it might take a bit of getting used to, (changing habits always does!) but in the long run you'd probably be a lot healthier, you'd save loads of money and the environment wouldn't suffer quite as much from all the excess packaging!

if you felt really enthusiastic about it, at the weekend you could make up a huge thing of pasta and veg or potato salad, put it in seperate containers then put them in the freezer. take one out in the morning and by the time you come to lunch it should be defrosted. healthy and convienient!

good luck and hope you don't get scurvy!!!!!

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• Quote from stardust

if you felt really enthusiastic about it, at the weekend you could make up a huge thing of pasta and veg or potato salad

We make a variety of salads (usually three) on Sunday that last for two or three days. We top them up during the week. Rice salad is great... and bulgur salad, and pasta salad. Coleslaw is easy to make, and you can add other raw stuff like sweet potato or apple (can use vegan mayo as well). Waldorf salad is nice and has lots of goodness in (you could use vegan cheese in this and vegan mayo). Sometimes I make a feta salad.... not easily veganable that one. Just invented a macaroni salad in hot peanut sauce! Ooh, blanched cauliflower with pineapple chunks in a peanut butter sauce is another fave. Bean salads are quick 'n' easy. Just a few thoughts!

Oh yeah, and when we pack lunch for work, we use one of those plastic takeaway cartons and put a bit of each salad in. We also chuck in some lettuce (a variety if poss) and a dollop of hummous to have with an oatcake. As much nutrition as we can squeeze in a box! For snacks, ricecakes and tahini are yummy topped with sprouts. Also good with Tartex spreads.

• Quote from Stormypagan

Well, Stardust and Dok, please book me in for dinner at your two houses NOW!!!! hehehe!!

Good ideas folks :D corrr I am hungry now!!!

you're welcome round for dinner anytime!!

and i'm also very hungry aswell now dammit!!!

peace and love
    stardust
    xxx

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain

• i think big boots and warm jumpers would be better. my little corner of the field is very muddy at the moment!!!

• Oh Dok if you are refering to a big Mac burger ... shame on you sir I don't wear leather let alone the carcass!! :harhar: Anyway, the limp lettuce would hardly cover my bits let alone the bun :D

I was thinking more flasher mac and big as in maternity wear hehehe!! :D