A question for firepoi spinners -

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• How do you stop? I mean when you are spinning how do you stop them spinning without getting burned or setting your clothes alight?!

Whenever I've done poi I've usually ended up with them getting knotted together ('cos I'm not very good at it :o ). On the rare occasions this hasn't happened, they've all ended up wrapped round my arms. I can't imagine how you do it!

• You can do a stall
    hmmm how to put this into words

Try just using one poi, spinning it infront of you. As the poi is heading downwards, move your hand down with it.
    Does that make sense!?

• Quote from starpoi

Try just using one poi, spinning it infront of you. As the poi is heading downwards, move your hand down with it.
    Does that make sense!?

I think I can visualise that.

• Hmm Starpoi is correct, just do a stall and thats it.
    for when ur more experienced though u can try different things:
    Wear denim, and when u wanna end the spin run, wrap the pois around your legs and do some acrobatics (Looks amazing ;))

you can also try juggling the pois with another friend when you`re in a crew.

but for now, just stall them.
    and as skye said, dont do fire until u AT LEAST know how to stop the poi =\

To adore in fear and trembling is almost to hate, though the fear disguises the hate; to adore fearlessly is to love. - Eliphas Levi

• Quote from Pinkadelic

but for now, just stall them.
    and as skye said, dont do fire until u AT LEAST know how to stop the poi =\

Heh heh, sensible advice!

I'm not planning on doing it, at least not any time soon! It was just that having seen some excellent pictures of people spinning fire here, I couldn't imagine how it was done. Well, I could imagine how the spinning was done, but not the stopping.

• or you can just slow the spins down. It really teaches you control of the poi because to me that sounds like thats what your lacking. Try spinning at half the speed you do now and then when you want to stop slow it downs more so they just swing underneath you.

Also a bit of advice for putting them out incase you dont know how. Hold it just above your head and blow into the base of the poi.... the bottom of the flames. I see so many people puffing and panting at a lit wick and never quite getting it otu... or spinning them super fast and hurting their arms.

And also dont forget to dip them in parafin after theyve gone out :)

• use a damp towel flat on the floor.Put ONE of your pois into the middle and wrap the poi with the towel..cutting off the oxygen,hence putting the flame out..do this seperately not with both together..

For stopping: bring the poi to both sides like a skipping rope....and slow down.

it is nice to show the moves of poi slower sometimes rather that really fast...when you get more practiced you will learn to do isolations of all the moves you know..Lots of fun.

• isolations are so hard...i been spinning for 4 years now and i can isolate... then again i havdent ACTUALLY been a spinner for the past year and a half really. :p

• Isolations are easier to learn with really stretch sock poi, then move on to less stretchy socks then chains or whatever you want.

I can do them with my right hand but even with way more practice, my left hand just wont do it!

• i just learned isolations two weeks ago.
    gotta try some hybrid moves now... that's gonna be tough.
    i tried some leg moves, but my nuts could'nt handle the constant beating, so i gave up spinning on the left leg, i only do it on the right now. i have more coordination on that leg.
    so what u guys learning now?

To adore in fear and trembling is almost to hate, though the fear disguises the hate; to adore fearlessly is to love. - Eliphas Levi

• im just gettin flowers now so moving onto anti spin...then onto combos/transitions wooo cant wait for that bit! and i wanna move forward with iso's ive had the basic iso for ages but not developed it any further yet, it'll all come together nicely im sure.

• If its any consolation Fleasy I am just as bad. Haven't been spinning for a bit.
    Lost one sock poi at a party and have burried my ways for a few months. Need to get out and practice.
    May check out our Wednesday practice at the civic centre(newcastle) this week with gloves on!!!
    :sm: :happydanc

• omg, flowers... such an old move.
    i learned it i think a year ago!
    and antispin isnt hard at all, just practice a bit coordination with one hand at a time.
    isolations is such a fun move, i learned it two weeks ago.
    transitions is a base move, how long are you spinning poi?

• Quote from Pinkadelic

omg, flowers... such an old move.
    i learned it i think a year ago!
    and antispin isnt hard at all, just practice a bit coordination with one hand at a time.
    isolations is such a fun move, i learned it two weeks ago.
    transitions is a base move, how long are you spinning poi?

flowers aren't an old move. it's a term used to describe compound circles and there are many many combinations of compound circles to do. i'm pretty sure that there are 'flowers' that havn't been spun before, yet to be discovered. flowers can be done in antispin, hybrids, butterflies, buzzsaw... etc.

IMO isolations are easier to learn with heavier poi that is not stretchy. i would suggest around 125g for each poi. although this is just what has worked for me.

• i just tend to spin them as fast as possable to put them out!! usally works!!

i just learned iso toooo,, found them easy with sock poi,, there not brill but gettin there now!!! I found once you learn how to isolate you will start to isolate evrything you do!!!

• i kind of resist my arms if that makes sense? or swing them one more time but really big and slow and then just let them drop

alternatively if u get scared .. just swing them round really fast til they go out!!! :p

• well, i either just keep spinning til they go out, or spin 'em really fast til they're out. always put 'em back in some parrafin afterwards.
    thanks to dmp, i'm gonna make some 'catch cans' - for spinning the excess off safely.

• Quote from velvetcollie

well, i either just keep spinning til they go out, or spin 'em really fast til they're out. always put 'em back in some parrafin afterwards.
    thanks to dmp, i'm gonna make some 'catch cans' - for spinning the excess off safely.

sounds cool .. how the hell would u do that though?? :happydanc

• when i've made some i'll show you!
    tin cans and good string by the looks of it. seems simple enough. i'll get on it!
    i just take them into the distance a bit and spin the excess off away from people and stuff.