Calling all Omni's

• So, what are we haing for Xmas lunch then?? I WAS goin to have turkey, but i fancy pheasent. Im also considering goin out and doin the whole, capture/kill/pluck/gut/cook/eat thing. Me mate's a dab hand with the guttin bit, so he has given me advice.

So, what bout the rest of ya's??

• Never tried it but its on my list of things that I want to try!

Knowing my parents we'll probably just have turkey as usual, not that thats a bad thing

• Pheasant is normally left to hang for a week or two before it is gutted and eaten.

Even when I was a meat eater I could never stomach it, its a very aquired taste!

• Quote from Roach

Never tried it but its on my list of things that I want to try!

Aye, well they rtoam wild in these ere parts. Been looking for a good set up to use as a rudementry spit for the fire, also some good scented wood.

Now...what bout stuffing?

• Quote from starpoi

Pheasant is normally left to hang for a week or two before it is gutted and eaten.

, its a very aquired taste!

Ye, i agree starpoi, i love the taste, very gamey...unlike the usual factory meats. Were fonna hopefuilly go out, do the deed, then hang it, before xmas.

• Quote from Exedous

Aye, well they rtoam wild in these ere parts. Been looking for a good set up to use as a rudementry spit for the fire, also some good scented wood.

Now...what bout stuffing?

With pheasant being quite strong in taste i would put a chestnut stuffing with it...Also a redcurrant and orange sauce....

Been looking up about pheasant in an old book..it says pheasant will be ready for eating when the blood begins to run from its bill,,about six days from when it was killed! Earlier than that it will be extremely dry...

• Quote from pixiejanet1

My mum is doing Lamb....yummy!

Now, thats something i avent tried for ages. Its hard to get good organic lamb, without goin to the supermarkets. Im waitin for the next farmers market, see my local supplier.

How will you or yer mum cook the lamb?? I ususally cook it in a jamacian type broth/stew.

• Mum is old fashioned and it`ll be roasted...mmm,*drool* With all the usual gubbins that it comes with...
    Spuds, carrots & sweet potatoes(all roasted)...lots of green veggies, redcurrant sauce and mint sauce(homemade) (i`m starving now...)

• Hey Ex... there is a lovely recipe for pheasant in Jamie Oliver's Italy cookbook...if you not got access to that book and are interested, let me know matey and I will type it up here for ya's :)

We got a pheasant hangin down at the orchard at the moment that we are gonna have on Thursday (solstice) and for xmas dinner I fancied Rabbit but not sure if Si got time to go out and shoot me one to cook :lol: We might get one from a butchers but we found out yesterday that Rob ave gone n got a bloody great big Turkey and a chicken and he wants everyone to have xmas dinner together in the log cabin.. so I mights not get me bunny after all :(

• Pheasant is deeee-lish :D If you want to cook on a spit, cook slightly to the side of the fire (not straight over it) and have a drip tray close underneath to catch the juices (along with oil or butter you put over the bird) for basting.....otherwise it will dry out to a cardboard texture

Better to oven roast them (which you can do out of doors in a clay pot and fire pit (see books by Ray Mears :worthy: for details :) ). And stuff with sausage meat for a YUM taste and plenty of fat to keep it juicy :D

Mmmmmmm

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Exedous

Now, thats something i avent tried for ages. Its hard to get good organic lamb, without goin to the supermarkets. Im waitin for the next farmers market, see my local supplier.

How will you or yer mum cook the lamb?? I ususally cook it in a jamacian type broth/stew.

What is Jamacian type stew?

• pheasant ! Steam roasting is best!
    Put a layer of all your veg trimmings on the bottom of your roasting tray!
    About 1 and a hlf centimetres thick!including a couple of slices of potato!
    A couple of cloves of garlic(3) sliced and any herbs preferably rosemary and thyme!A few peppercorns no salt bay leaves 3/4 then cover with white wine! Place seasoned bird on top !put in preheated oven at 180degs! After 45 mins turn bird over put back in oven for 30 mins!Take out turn bird back over and cook till golden brown Not burnt!This ensures your pheasant stays moist and takes on all them flavours! Take out of oven and place on a grill rack to rest!Stain all those juices through a flour sieve into a pan bring to boil and thicken with arrow root!(or corn flour)
    :cool: Bellisimo!
    You can make a jus from the stock but bit complicated!