Coal Fires or central Heating

• Which is best?
    Which is most ecconomical?
    Which is more reliable?

For me its gotta be solid fuel.
    We have one open fire and the main heating is run off a multi fuel burner.....
    Tis hard n dirty work but i love it :D 
    The atmosphere it creates,n none of that nasty "dry" heat you get with central heating.

• Quote from campertess

Thats the great thing about living out in the sticks tho isnt it..
    Its free.

Not enough trees round here and wouldn't have the time to gather it if there were.

• Ah..
    I do. I love going "logging"
    It saves me a fortune on coal.
    And it means that i every gathering i attend i go complete with dry kindlin,blo torch and logs.
    N that was a godsend at Oxford,it was freezing man n nobody else took any fire fodder:mad:

• Quote from campertess

Ah..
    I do. I love going "logging"
    It saves me a fortune on coal.
    And it means that i every gathering i attend i go complete with dry kindlin,blo torch and logs.
    N that was a godsend at Oxford,it was freezing man n nobody else took any fire fodder:mad:

Always used to go"woodin"and got too clever and carried two long bits of tree over a few fields.
    Used to hook the saw over the end of one bit.
    Got lazy and went over a wire fence in a gap in the hedge.
    Got me boot hooked on the top wire and the bit of tree came round and smacked me round the ear.
    Another time near the River Wye I ended up backwards in a gert holly bush........now that hurt.

• sounds like the sorta thind i'd do.
    We have logging straps,n take then with us when we walk the dogs..
    anything worth picking up ,we make several little piles then collect them all on the way back,strap em up n head off home.

As you know we've just had an "addition" to the family..little Skye.
    I was given a pram to keep at Nannys house..
    Great thing about it is its one of the older types with a huge wire basket underneath (n plenty of clearance space) straight away i was like....cool for wooding...excellent:D
    Hannah reckons baby Skye is never going in it cos its old fashioned...
    Nanny jo got other ideas;)
    Me,Skye and pram will be off up the woods..t'aint nobody up there gonna care if the prams old or new.
    But so long as it carrys baba safely n plenty of logs,that'll do me:D

• I used to have one of those prams and I walked thru a wood to my girls nursery she was only 3 and 1/2 and her brother was in the pram and she used to lye down on the wire basket thingy coz her little legs used to get tired! Never used to care what we looked like either - but then again that was before this age of labels! :whistle:

• We have a log burner and its great. But I think if possible and necessary I would also have central heating. I also love coal fires though. In the UK I'd have a real fire (coal or wood) + heating.

• Quote from Atomik

Wouldn't use coal if avoidable, but wood stoves any day of the week. :thumbup:

Agreed....Iv got a coal fire ere and GCH....i always usually use the woodfire....far nicer in the winter.

• This is the first winter I've been without my coal fire and it's horrible. Coal is bad and got ridiculously expensive, so we stopped having it - but I still miss having an open fire. The thing is, there's no central heating here - so it's bloody freezing! Hopefully, we're getting a wood burner sorted soon though, thank god.

• Coal doesnt smell anywhere near as nice as wood....and often kicks out far too much heat. Central heating is nice though cos ya cant set fires to come on to warm the room 30 mins before getting up :D

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• i`ve no choice in the matter as the chimney is bricked up! bloody housing Assc. I love coal fires...was my job to build em and bank em and clean em...loved it..nothing so satisfying as seeing that glow..

have central heating but it`s hard to control where you want it..i like warmth downstairs..not up..So windows are always open in the bedrooms.. it`s nice that the bedrooms are aired now, when i was little you scraped the ice off the inside of the windows...had lots of thick blankets on the bed and an eiderdown...luvly... miss it..duvets just aint the same snuglyness-wise