Not wanting to be too gleeful at someone's death...

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• but what about the sufforing of those who caused sufforing?

guess you dont believe in "get whats coming to you"?

I'm a travelin' woman, I got a travelin' mind:wiggle:
    -mattie delaney 'down the big road blues'

• Quote from mooka

but what about the sufforing of those who caused sufforing?

totally.... truely evil people should get what they deserve.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

• Quote from mooka

but what about the sufforing of those who caused sufforing?

guess you dont believe in "get whats coming to you"?

I don't believe in enjoying the suffering of others - however evil they are. Enjoying someone's suffering kills a little part of us and makes the world a worse place. The desire for revenge and "an eye for an eye" has made the world what it is today. Evil people should be stopped and even brought to justice - but because it's necessary, not because we enjoy seeing them suffer. That makes us no better than them.

• Quote from Atomik

Enjoying someone's suffering kills a little part of us and makes the world a worse place. That makes us no better than them.

:worthy: We shouldnt celebrate his death, but mourn the fact that he died before he stood trial.

• Quote from Atomik

And of course enjoying the suffering of others really goes a long way towards making the world a better place. :rolleyes:

spare us the bleeding heart...the man was a mass murdering scumbag:rolleyes:

• Quote from Atomik

Spare us the Daily Mail politics and explain to me how the world is made a better place by people enjoying his suffering. :rolleyes:

Wow....And here was I thinking I was going to have to reply to this thread and face the masses alone... Ditto everything stu has said-I am glad someone got here before me....:)

We're all humans at the end of the day, it would be a good thing if more people remembered that.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    May they all be free from suffering and from creating the causes of suffering.
    [/FONT]

• Viewing the death of a person who has done bad things as 'justice' just seems a bit pointless really. The damage has already been done, and no amount of pain and fatal suffering on the part of someone like Pinochet is going to change that. Wishing death upon someone makes the whole situation seem a bit trivial really... as though one guy being dead balances out all the pain and misery he caused.

Hatred like this really does just breed more hatred, and gets us nowhere in the long run.

• Quote from Atomik

I disagree. It does get us somewhere. It gets us to a continuing spiral of hatred, violence, revenge and counter-revenge.

Ah you mean where we are now then?? I knew it had stemmed from somewhere...:rolleyes:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]May all beings have happiness and create the causes of happiness.
    [/FONT]

• Quote from Atomik

I disagree. It does get us somewhere. It gets us to a continuing spiral of hatred, violence, revenge and counter-revenge.

And your alternative is....?

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do."

• Quote from Coyote

I did recall that too actually, but then again everyone is allowed to have a change of heart. If I recall that thread acurately I seem to remember being one of the very very few who had an issue with it....:rolleyes:

[/FONT]

• Quote from Coyote

Justice doesn't need to be carried out with glee. If justice needs to be done, it should be done with regret and not pleasure. As soon as we start to enjoy suffering, we become more like the people we're supposed to oppose.

Oh and are you not the person who offered a party for when Mrs T pegged it? :whistle: :harhar:

Fuck yeah. I think I said at the time that I was a hypocrite. But then I never claimed to be perfect. I keep on trying though. ;)

• Quote from Coyote

pfft well that was obviously a joke because she's immortal!

• oh and yes i'm not going to say anything more cos i dont want to just repeat what stu said totally agree, hippies should know better than to celebrate naughty peoples deaths

• Quote from Dan

hippies should know better than to celebrate naughty peoples deaths

No. People should know better than to celebrate people's death and suffering.

[/FONT]

• Actually while hated everything this monster stood for I kinda agree with Atomik on this one. Celebrate his reign of terror and his laughing at the world is over.But I am sorry he died before being brought to justice. A thing the British government actually stopped happening by refusing to extrodite him to Spain for trial. Also let us not forget that this evil man was put in power by the USA and hailed an ally by Britain. This man spent the profits of his crimes in Harrods on a regular basis and was a family friend of Thatcher. And he is to get a state funeral!!

• k i agree but wasn't it kind of obvious that my comment wasn't entirely serious and was more poking fun at the fact we are on a "hippy" site and yet many of us are hipocritical in our assumed values

• Well I'm not really a hippy, so I don't mind being glad that he's dead.

Btw, this thread wasn't started as a celebration of his suffering; he isn't suffering, he's dead now. What I'm happy to celebrate is that a mass murdering facist arsehole isn't here any more. There was widespread celebration at the eradication of Polio, and I feel pretty happy that another cause of suffering and death is gone.

• I give up. :rolleyes:

[/FONT]

• Im....neutral to this. The gits dead...i regret that he wasnt brought to trial but well he's dead so, he doesnt exist anymore...he will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever hurt anyone else ever again and in that sense im quite pleased. And also, he's dead so hopefully margaret thatcher feels really sad and all that coz she's a manky bitch and actually likes him coz he might've helped them in a war. Who gives a flyin fuck about that...if someone dies by his signature or whatever that cancels out any assistance or "good" deeds he's done. Heh...not that helping britain in the falklands was good.