What did you eat for your dinner [veggie/vegan]

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Thought this might be a good idea when some of us don't know what to cook and are looking for inspiration! So I just thought we could post what we've eaten, rather than recipes otherwise it'll get too confusing! And if anyone wants a recipe, we can put it in the recipe forum.

I had to do this after my dinner tonight which was:

Cabbage leaves stuffed with curried split peas (yellow & green) served with a white wine and onion sauce, accompanied by roasted root veggies (potato, sweet potato, parsnip, celariac, swede) and steamed carrot & kale.

Bloody yum!!!!! :piggy:

What did you have?

• I made the best Thai dish I'ver done :D

Was cross between a Thai Curry and a Soup (a runny curry?!). Just chopped up loads of veggies and some greens and tofu. Used thai red paste from tesco (vegan) and some french basil, dry fried cumin, corrainder & fenegreek seed and then litterally just chucked all veggies in and fried for 5-10mins and then added paste and basil and cocunut milk.

Totally yummy!

• I had curry as well sweet potato, leek, spinach and corriander with curry paste and coconut milk and lots of garlic nan bread and shared with good friends, foods always better when shared I think! :hippy: also I grew most of the stuff myself which I am sure makes it taste nicer
    fairygirl

• roasted veg (sweet potato, red onion, courgette etc) and cous cous :) and spicy potato skins (baked potato, scoop out the potato and toss in spices, then bake)

• yummy I had one of those linda McCartney pies (big yummy) with new potaotos and green beans, carrotsand babycorn. Mmmmmit was soooo good and now I have pie burps!!

• Quote from Rae

yummy I had one of those linda McCartney pies (big yummy) with new potaotos and green beans, carrotsand babycorn. Mmmmmit was soooo good and now I have pie burps!!

That's my perfect junk food/healthy food mix!!!!

But without the burps :D

• Quote from Earth Whirler

That's my perfect junk food/healthy food mix!!!!

But without the burps :D

Tis good food, I want pie tonight but really cant be bothered to cook, left over curry it is then!

• I just had a stir fry with peppers, mushrooms, green beans, tomato, smoked tofu, garlic, ginger and soya sauce in it..served with noodles.. was yummy :)

• pasta with onions, mushrooms, cabbage and garlic all fried and a bit of teyaki sauce added at the end. Yum

• Quote from Earth Whirler

bubble & squeak, red cabbage & brussels!!!!

that's a lot of brassicas! *parp*

• Quote from ms-violet

I have just made my own vegetable pie! I'm v. proud. It even has a smiley face on the top, cos I'm cool :cool:

Wicked! Did you use short-crust for the base and puff for the top? Any tips you can give me on pie's cos I tried and it was pants the one I did!

Tonight Mathew, I had pesto pasta with fried leek, mushrooms, tofu, purple sprouting broc and carrots (cooked how Heston Blumentahl did them on his show lastnight). Yummy scrummy

• I added a small amount soya milk and a small amount of "dairy free cheese flavoured sauce mix" to a basic tomatoey garlicy pasta sauce I made..had it with wholewheat pasta, carrots, sugar snap peas and avocadoey salad. yum yum yum yum yum :D

• Just had a vegan cottage pie..made the saucy bit with onion, garlic, tinned tomato, textured vegetable protein, pinto beans, thyme, black pepper, chilli sauce, soya sauce, balsamic vinegar. I added some soya milk and salt to the mashed potato that went on top which made it taste like I'd added butter! horray:D I served it with Carrots, sugar snap peas and baby corn. Twas lovely:)...I might experiment with making the mashed potato taste cheesy next time.

• Quote from Dibdabs

I might experiment with making the mashed potato taste cheesy next time.

Hey Dibdabs, to make the mash taste a bit cheesy, try adding yeast flakes. Im not a fan of cheese myself, but I've been told they can be quite cheesy :D Sounds lovely

• Quote from BGG_Owen

Hey Dibdabs, to make the mash taste a bit cheesy, try adding yeast flakes. Im not a fan of cheese myself, but I've been told they can be quite cheesy :D Sounds lovely

awesome :) ..Yeah, I've heard that yeast flakes can add a cheesy taste..but have never tried adding them to anything. Will give them a go :D

xx

• I was just cooking myself a lentil and quinoa dahl to have for lunch tomorrow and I burnt it! :mad:

Will make another attempt tomorrow.

This thread was a brilliant idea!..makes me think about and get excited about what I'm going to cook next. :D

• Quote from Dibdabs

I was just cooking myself a lentil and quinoa dahl to have for lunch tomorrow and I burnt it! :mad:

Will make another attempt tomorrow.

ooh, always wondered about quinoa. Tried it twice, first time was really quite terrible, think didnt cook it correctly and the second was pretty nice. Any tips on using it?

Also, on the yeast flakes front....i like putting weird things on toast/sandwiches and tried just marge, pepper and yeast flakes on toast :whistle: Was pretty nice, apparently a bit like eggy bread a friend told me. I add to many things when you'd usually use cheese.

• Quote from BGG_Owen

ooh, always wondered about quinoa. Tried it twice, first time was really quite terrible, think didnt cook it correctly and the second was pretty nice. Any tips on using it?

I often use quinoa randomly in all sorts of things to attempt to boost my nutrition intake. Tis good in pasta sauces... Tis lovely to have along side lentils in the tomatoey bit of a Lasagne...makes a nice texture. Tis good in soups too. Or to have with stir fry or curry.. Sometimes I fry it a bit before I boil it..changes the flavour a bit. then use double the quantity of liquid as there is quinoa and bubble for 10-15....till it tastes right and most of the liquid has been absorbed..
    I've never used it in dahl before..but was reading over Earth Whirler's anaemia thread and it looks like I should be getting a lot more whole grains than I am getting..and so I figured if I made a lentil and quinoa dahl and had it with brown rice then it'd be a damn good start to getting more whole grains into my diet...hehe maybe I'm being a bit OTT:D .

Quote from BGG_Owen

Also, on the yeast flakes front....i like putting weird things on toast/sandwiches and tried just marge, pepper and yeast flakes on toast :whistle: Was pretty nice, apparently a bit like eggy bread a friend told me. I add to many things when you'd usually use cheese.

hehe amazing. Am looking forward to a whole new world of cheesy taste sensations once I buy some yeast flakes :D

The other thing I've been meaning to buy and attempt to do something with is seaweed...