Posts by julianthegypsy

It was just a thought. If it worked, it might be a nice little regular earner, and not too difficult to run if someone was willing to handle it. As well as things like UKH t shirts etc, one off stuff that people had made that was more arts and crafts than UKH brand should sell well. Here's a thing. Is someone sets it up, I will build and donate a small stove to get that rolling.

-- Posted from the UKHippy mobile app --

I'd go for a swb transit. Small enough to fit in tesco parking spaces and enough room for a mini steve and a proper bed etc if you think about it before you begin. Doesn't need to be complicated, bang in some insulation, bang in some ply to cover it and off you go.
    Dpesn't need to be a transit, peugeot, citroen, fiat, whatever, they'd all work.

seen one last week made out of an old gas bottle, sounded superb

Any idea how much they fetch? I could build them no problem, and enjoy doing it, but I still have rent to pay...although I have better kit than the guy in the video. Might be a nice thing to do in Summer when people want music instead of something to stop them freezing!

Agree about the rebrand, I meet lots of people who come to me for stoves, I'm talking now mostly about vans, and as an observer they have a lot in common, many of them like going off to festivals, but by no means all. Some of them want to live in their vans to get away from paying extortionate rent, others just want a bit of freedom, some of them have well paying jobs, whether they llive in their vehicle or not. Their is a commonality though, and that is independent thinking, refusal to do what is expected just because that's what everyone else does, going their own way and happy to make sacrifices and put the work in to get where they want to, not giving a shit who is winning X factor or whatever drivel is current, loving the countryside is common, loving fire, but maybe that's why they come to me lol, but anyway, there are unifying themes here, but hippy isn't one of them. It isn't even one of mine although it's a term that people have applied to me many times. For the excruciatingly long record, when we were kids and had labels, I was a freak. It's a thing you never really hear these days. We wore afghan coats, smoked dope and had long hair. We never even met any hippies and I'm not sure there ever were any in UK, it was an American thing or a label applied to freaks by idiots. Freaks were an american thing too. Don't believe me? Listen to Almost Cut My Hair by CSN&Y. It was about defiance, about doing our own thing, refusing to conform, (bear in mind we could be imprisoned for smoking dope and often had our homes raided on the offchance we might have a couple of joints. Seriously.), and wanting a life that was bigger than working in a factory and saving enough money to buy a nice little semi. Rant over. People don't change, times do. I'm an old dinosaur, but there are plenty of kids out there who want more, who are hungry for a world where they can do want they want without getting busted by the cops for harming nobody just because the government can't handle it, who don't watch the soap operas because they are shit, and are generally looking for something better, and where they have a voice too. Where was I? UKH means nothing to all these people, and neither do hippies, but they all share our values, and they are pretty much where I was when I was younger. I don't know what I'm suggesting here, it's late, I'm tired and had a really shitty day, but if we are looking for a new brand, I hope some of what I said may be useful in figuring it out. My apologies for rambling, but that was also one of the things that UKH was always good for, venting when things were a bit shit and turning it into something positive.

Roy Harper has been a favourite of mine since about 1971! In addition to Flat, baroque and berserk, I'd recommend Stormcock as a cracking album, and the slightly later HQ, which is available on CD on his own label now and really rocks, as well as having some float away stuff on it too. If you can find it, the live double Flashes From The Archives of Oblivion is an absolute belter and pretty much has Stormcock on it anyway, but live and even more spellbinding.

Many years ago I was a regular visitor to Singapore, and I used to love seeing all the people doing Tai Chi. Some of them looked at least 108 years old, but still moved with suppleness and grace. They were a very good advert for it!

I've done one of these and actually found it very useful. We were also given copious amounts of tea and biscuits, whic helps enormously. I understand they do vary though, and some of them are really dull, and mean, with no tea OR biscuits. As far as declaring it goes though, if they aren't allowed to ask the question, then surely it can't be wrong to give them the wrong answer can it?

I got the message this morning. Gutting. I don't post half as much as I used to, but not through lack of interest. I'm just so busy I never seem to get time, and am often on my mobile, which I hate for this kind of thing as I'm one of those laptop/desktop/proper computer dinosaurs. I'd hate to see this place go, it's done so much for so many people, not least of all me, which reminds me I have some cash to bank in the next couple of days so I need to donate.
    As someone else has said, facebook is no substitute for this place, it's ephemeral, here and gone, and information is drowned by the tide. All the expertise on van building etc, is here and stays here, it's invaluable. I don't know what the answer is, but as ar as money goes, AW mentioned a festival, which would be cool but complicated, but taking the idea, we have a big gathering at Dovedale every year and we just pay the farmer for camping. I'd be happy to bung in a tenner on top to be part of the UKH gathering, rather than just another tourist. Wouldn't solve all the problems, but it would be several hundred extra quid in the kitty. Another idea occurrs, lots of us clear out tat from time to time, maybe we could sell bits and bobs we no longer need in aid of the site? Just bouncing ideas around. On the subject of membership, I know its contentious, but many forums allow non members to view the forums but not participate without registering. If there was a couple of quid charge for registering, I suspect people building trucks might be willing to pay to get the benefit of all the expertise? Again, I'm just deperately trying to think of ideas, and I hope people can think of some better ones. Times change, but it would be very sad to lose this place.

I've just bought an LPG powered car. The only station in Rugby apparently hasn't had any for months, but still claims to do it, so I've had to go to Coventry to fill up, but it was 51.7p per litre. That'll do nicely thank you! The car is a 2.2 Vectra estate, which would probably not do much over 30 to the gallon round town, now it does the equivalent of a little over 60, and the space inside is humungous!

Wow, that's going back a few years! The top one now lives in Greece, and the van is used as a guest bedroom, much admired apparently! The bottom one did get finished, and went to Shorny, who used it in his horsebox. The horsebox died but the stove lives on. There's a picture of it somewhere on my three years out of date newly revised website!