Family on the road?

• Hello,
    I'm interested to know if there are any families out there living an alternative lifestyle with their children?
    I am seriously considering planning at least a year on the road with my partner and three children. That would mean taking two out of school, leaving our lovely house and big wild garden and living our lives very differently on the road.
    Has anyone else been tempted or gone ahead and done it?

• Geared up to it but relationship fell apart before we got there.
    Where's your house, and do you want to rent it out cheap while you're away?
    :)

• Many do it and many have done it. I will say this. It's not all roses living in/out of a vehicle with or without kids. Winter here in the UK can be long, cold and very miserable.
    Finding safe places to park up if your travelling around can be difficult and the uncertainty can also be worrying. If your kids are young enough to take road life in their stride. It's easier than removing them from the play station and friends.
    If you plan on staying on campsites, your allowed 28 days before your expected to move on to another.
    The choice of vehicle will be specific to your needs and each type comes with pluses and minuses. If your hoping to sneak about, park up and hopefully live on the cheap. You really have to consider where your going to stop, sleep and sleeping arrangements need to be both functional and adequate. If your thinking of renting out your house and just having a year out. There's so much you can do. If you plan and research it can be an amazing bonding experience, if you get it wrong, if your not on the same page with your partner. It can destroy a family.

You really need to understand what you both want from the experience and how your going to fund it.
    No doubt plenty will come along and just say go for it. We normally do. You sound like your dipping your toe in to see what it's all about. That's when you both need to be honest with yourselves and make plans that encompass all of your desires.
    It is often an amazing experience and one when the time never really seems like the best time to do it. If your hoping to take to this way of life and live on the road perminantly. Just consider the hassle gypsies get. That's not too far from what you will become.
    My advice, do it when/while your fit. Age doesn't matter. Keeping a family safe and happy does.

• Thank you for your replies, there is plenty to think about! I think the emphasis is on planning and as much as we would love to just get up and go I think it will take at least a year to put a realistic plan in place.

I sort of feel that we are young, healthy and stupid enough to just go ahead and do it though, once we know what it is we are doing! We are both self-employed and I can work from anywhere so that wouldn't be an issue.

I have no idea whether it is something that would work permanently for us but I think it would be sensible to aim for a few months away around the UK first and see how that goes.

We are by no means rich but we manage and we already live a very minimal lifestyle. Our children are young and spend all the time they can in the outdoors. We are saving for a motorhome/campervan rather than a mortgage which seems too far out of reach for us and most others I know in their late 20's/early 30's.

I think my biggest worry would be being in each other's pockets but I guess these are the sorts of things we need to consider and be clear about beforehand.

I will start to write things down and see where it leads...hopefully an adventure!

• Yeah you'll have to get very creative about what you do on a long miserable winter evening with some grumpy kids. Stuck in a van doesn't feel like a good place to be then.

That said it's summer now and spending outdoor van time with my son is brilliant.

• Who wouldn't want to have a year out, take the whole family on a amazing adventure around the UK?

It could take that long to just go around the coast of England, Scotland, Wales.

When you look at it like a blank canvas, there's so much to discover, so much to experience, so many places to visit.
    you could try crowdfunding the adventure or build it into your selfemployment.
    Home school your kids for the year.
    sprouted you sound together enough to really make the most of it. I wish you all the best.

I could spend a year looking/driving/camping around Southern Ireland.

• I'm tempted, it's me and my 2 boys 1 and 2.5, next summer when I finish uni I'm buying some sort of vehicle, converting it into a tiny house (cosy on the inside and inconspicuous on the outside) and heading off on our travels. It's still in the planning stages but I've decided to go for it.