Old engine oil running a fridge/ freezer?

• Just looked...1/4 gallon of kerosene a day :eek: so minimum a fiver every 4days ish... Not to mention well over a 1000 squids for the fridge......better off with a normal fridge or chest freezer converted to fridge running off solar/wind battery/inverter setup...or a chicken shit biogas system.

Not cheap then! I posted it hoping the technology could be pursed. It was a guy on a boat forums link posted. He would have had no end of problems installing gas and getting a sea worthy certificate of the vessel without going overboard. He found this fuel method was a get sailing quick option. The burner/fuel side of the design must be to a decent standard to be safe and reliable. We just need to ‘suss it out’ and pikey remanufacture a good design.

• I think its probably economical in the US as their fuel is dirt cheap compared to ours and seems a logical move if.hes using an onboard dieselor kerosene heating system.
    Difficult to make it economical here though even if technically its perfectly doable....thats why Off-grid H wanted to use waste oil.

• Sure I thought the fuel delivery and burning method could be emulated to burn ‘filtered’ waste oil, that’s all. :thumbup:

Offgrid > could this be of use to you. 332402212664 Ebay listing drip tank. If not I might have a use for it.

• Maybe trying to copy the American fridge burner assembly could help with answers(I haven't had time to have a good look), also I know the oil I've got at my disposal at the moment isn't contaminated because it's from my engines so consistent as prototype fuel.

• Yes it has. It’s also got the drip needle so setting up fuel flow rate isn’t such a science. The previous Ebay unit that was for sale, the maker/seller said he had to keep checking and adjusting the flow rate weekly. With this tank it ‘should’ eliminate the need ‘hopefully’

I’m really interested in converting a larger fridge or freezer to run of reclaimed fuel. Or even convert a oven to run on diesel. Whereby turning up the drip rate increases the oven running temperature.

• This is going slightly off topic but I have often thought about recycling and re-using old engine oil on a small scale.

If you leave it to stand much of the dirt will settle. More could be removed by some form of filtration. The result would be acidic but most of these impurities are water soluble. So could possibly be washed out by agitating with water and then leaving to settle again - or possibly the acids could be neutralised chemically. The resulting oil might be quite good enough for general use on machinery, even if not fit to go back in an engine. Of course you then have contaminated water and filters to deal with.

Do we have a chemist on here who would like to comment - makes a change from home brewing..?

• Thinking about the ones we know work. When I’ve physically looked at the heat source (flame) it’s always been a blue flame. Now going back to school here, is that flame much higher in temperature as the yellow flame your working with in your last photo?

Dont give up man. Your onto Sumat here, just needs tweaking abit. Besides I bought that drip tank and I’m wanting to play. There’s every chance this worlds going to go up it’s own arse soon and we will need a cold store to keep the homebrew medicines cool.

• I'm no chemist but I found this:

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/tp102-c3.pdf

If only I knew what it all meant! :eek:

Wow, that’s heavy man. Something we really need to hang over our neighbours fence if we intend burning used sump oil at low temperatures. PCB’s. Not good for our health or environment. However. There are many fuel sources out there that can be bought cheap and used. For off grid purposes. So the fridge idea is a winner. I’m sure I don’t want used engine oil fumes settling into me baking though. I’ve still got al nearly a 1000 litres of water contaminated diesel sat in a fuel bowser to put to use.

• I can't give up I had a dream that I won a prestigious science award something to do with keeping medicine cold in poverty stricken places:),as for the flame your right blue is best but I just figured the orange flame would simply have to be bigger than its blue equivalent.

• I’ve got two copper/brass vintage gas water heaters I’m wanting to convert to run on bio gas from a compost loo and local dog poo bins. Each unit cost me 50 quid, but they come complete, beautiful looking, free standing, water heaters. Very steampunk. water jacket around a copper chimney pipe, brass gas jets and gas taps, swing free flint wheel ignition and brass water tap. They both have a copper water header tank with ball cock, so don’t run dry. The futures DIY. The futures off-grid because some mother is going to fk with those satellites or the server grid and turn off modern civilisation. Besides something for free is going to subsidise that what we will have to pay dearly for.

• Of course it will work,the typical gas or 3 way caravan motorhime fridge runs off a gas flame no bigger than that of a small candle or tea light so in theory you just need a miniature wick and a reservoir
    Tiny wicks can be found in paraffin night lights like this

Or Offys drip.feed coke can seems pretty good.

Worth considering anaerobic digestors too if youve access to grass or waste or chicken poo.Id have thought there would be sufficient gas to keep a small flame alight.

• Wow, that’s heavy man. Something we really need to hang over our neighbours fence if we intend burning used sump oil at low temperatures. PCB’s. Not good for our health or environment. However. There are many fuel sources out there that can be bought cheap and used. For off grid purposes. So the fridge idea is a winner. I’m sure I don’t want used engine oil fumes settling into me baking though. I’ve still got al nearly a 1000 litres of water contaminated diesel sat in a fuel bowser to put to use.

If you get a Bubble diesel stove you could use that diesel.....also the Russians and Chinese have made diesel stoves and heaters for years and still do.

Or get a miller oil burner set from the US as used by the army and make your own heater.

(obviously for heating not a fridge :) )